If The Walls Could Talk

"Professor Cross!" Ariella looked up in surprise as Harry bound into her office late Halloween night.

"Harry? What are you doing up so late? And why are you out of the tower?" She asked in fear as he pressed himself against her, hugging her tightly.

"There was a voice in the wall! I heard it!" He explained as she stared down at him. The Invisibility Cloak hung loosely on his arm and she sighed.

"Harry, come and sit down." She led him to the couch in front of the fire. She easily conjured two glasses of tea and gave him one.

"Now, Harry, what ever were you doing up at this hour?" She asked as he took a big breath before answering.

"I went to Headless Nick's Deathday Party." He replied as Ariella chuckled.

"Nearly Headless Nick? Oh my, he isn't still wanting to join the Headless Hunt is he?" She questioned as Harry nodded.

"Honestly when will he accept he is not headless only nearly?" She asked herself before sighing.

"And what about this voice you heard?"

"There was a voice in the wall!"

"A voice in the wall, you say?" Harry nodded as Ariella raised an elegant eyebrow.

"Harry, you were at a ghost party. Perhaps you were hearing one of the guests?" She explained as he shook his head.

"No! This sounded different!"

"Different how?"

"Like it was hissing!" Ariella tensed visibly before smiling softly.

"Harry, it's late. You should get to bed." She ushered him to the door.

"But!" He argued as she led him through the corridors to the Gryffindor tower.

"No buts, Harry. Now off to bed with ya." She commanded once she reached the Fat Lady's portrait.

"Password?"

"Veritaserum." Harry recited as Ariella smiled. Once the portrait closed again, she frowned before walking away quickly. She practically ran through the empty corridors, searching for any sign of where the deathday party had taken place. She needed to hear this voice herself to be certain. She needed...

"Cross, stop running." Ariella instantly froze at the sound of Snape's cold command. She stared at him with wide eyes as he glared at her; his lips twisted into a sneer. Ariella instinctively reached for her wand as Snape watched her in interest. He raised his eyebrow as her breath caught in her throat.

"Though the lion may step on the snake, the snake will bite thy lion's foot and poison it with venom."

"Cross, what―" Snape stopped when she strolled toward him with her wand outstretched.

"Did you hear that?"

"Hear what, Cross?" He asked as she lowered the wand and sighed. She should've known the Slytherin wouldn't hear it. She hated hearing it. It reminded her of her heritage, of who she was, and what she had to live up to.

"Nothing, never mind, Snape." She replied, shrugging. Snape's eyebrow rose as he studied her.

"Are you a pure-blood, Cross?" Ariella looked up in surprise at Severus' sudden question before nodding.

"Old family." She replied, avoiding the subject of her blood-lines.

"Are you?" She asked as Snape tensed. He walked away before answering her and Ariella breathed a sigh of relief. She didn't feel like discussing her heritage with her faux husband. She looked around the hallway before running her hand through her hair in exhaustion.

"Ariella?" Ariella turned quickly and fought back a groan as Gilderoy strutted toward her.

"How can I help you Gilderoy?" She asked as he smirked at her. He surprised her by pulling her against his chest.

"Listen to beating of my heart! It sings for you, my dear."

"Gilderoy!" Ariella pushed against the blonde's chest.

"We both know you hate your marriage with Snape, Ariella. Surely you must desire me the way I desire you. I mean, how could you not?" He asked as he bent to capture her lips with his own. Before he reached her, Ariella was snatched out of his grasp. She let out a gasp of surprise as she collided with Snape who glared at Gilderoy.

"I suggest, Lockhart, you stay away from my wife." Snape growled as Gilderoy stared at him with wide eyes.

"Now go." Gilderoy looked offended before turning swiftly and briskly walking away. Ariella let out the breath she had been holding and looked up at the angry potions master. His eyes followed Lockhart until the blonde man turned the corner. Snape's onyx eyes looked down and locked with Ariella's amethyst.

"Are you alright?" He asked distantly as she nodded, refusing to look away from his mesmerizing eyes.

"I'm fine." She answered tersely. He nodded, acknowledging her answer before separating himself from her form.

"Thank you." She mumbled while dusting herself off as Snape scoffed.

"You must be misleading him behind my back." He growled as Ariella frowned.

"And why would I do that, Snape?"

"To cause trouble, Cross." Snape responded as Ariella shook her head.

"Well I'm not. Believe me, the last thing I wanna do is cause trouble." She spoke softly before sighing.

"I suppose I should retire for the night then." Snape nodded, agreeing with her.

"Good night, Snape." She pressed her hand against his chest before dropping it and walking away slowly. Snape watched her for a moment before following her.

"Cross!" He called out, causing her to stop mid-step and stumble. She easily regained her balance before turning to the potions master in surprise. He scowled before clearing his throat uncomfortably.

"You shouldn't be alone at this hour. I'll escort you back to your quarters." He remarked before walking forward, expecting Ariella to seemingly follow him.

"Why would you do that?" She asked as she stared at his turned back. He paused.

"Severus―"

"Kill, kill, kill, kill..." Ariella's eyes widened as she heard the wall groan and she crept closer to Snape for security.

"Never mind. Forget I asked. Let's go, alright?" She grabbed his robes and pulled him down the hall, trying to get him to move.

"Cross, what are you doing?" He questioned as he stopped and watched her eyes flit side to side, as if she were searching for something. In fact, it was almost as if she were frightened of something.

"What's bothering you?" He asked as she looked up in surprise.

"What? Nothing's bothering me, Snape." She replied with a careless shrug before he roughly grabbed her elbow.

"There is something bothering you, Cross. I've been 'married' to you long enough to know that." He accused as Ariella stared at him with wide eyes. She sighed before shaking her head.

"You haven't been married to me long enough to know anything, Snape. Now let's go." She replied as Snape frowned deeply. Though it was true, he didn't like her acknowledgement. He had known her since their first year, a fact she often forgot. She turned to look at him over her shoulder with a raised eyebrow. He scowled before following her, begrudged. The trip to her room was a silent one, with only their footsteps echoing eerily through the corridors. Once at her room, Ariella gave a sigh of relief before turning to Snape with a small smile.

"Thank you." She spoke softly before disappearing into her room. Severus stared at her door for a moment before smirking and disappearing to his own haven in the dungeons.