The Dueling Club

"A dueling club? Really?" Ariella quirked an eyebrow at Severus in disapproval. He scowled at her disapproval.

"Haven't we been over this already, Cross?"

"Yes and I thought we agreed no dueling clubs." She retorted as Snape shook his head.

 "We never agreed to such a thing." Ariella sighed in annoyance. The two of them sat beside one another in the teacher's lounge as they listened to Lockhart elaborate on his plans.

 "You do realize this will just increase inter-house fighting?" She asked as he turned to her.

 "And you know so much about this." He retorted as she frowned.

 "Yes, I do. This is ridiculous."

 "Take it up with your lover."

 "Will you stop calling him that? He's not my lover, nor will he ever be my lover." Ariella growled as the other teachers glanced at them out of the sides of their eyes. While they knew it was a rouse, it was getting pretty believable that the two youngest professors could be married. They fought like a married couple.

 "Though you may be my wife, Cross, you will have no control over what I do."

 "Like hell I don't. Students could get hurt. Do you remember when you dueled Sirius?"

 "I was ignorant then."

 "Yeah, and the students now? You said so yourself, Snape. They're not ready for this." Ariella reasoned as Severus glared at her. He hated how she made everything seem reasonable.

 "Do not throw my words back at me, Cross."

 "Well I wouldn't have to if you'd just think clearly for one second." She bit back as she narrowed her eyes on him. Severus proceeded to ignore her until she sighed.

 "If you're bent on going along with Lockhart's folly, at least put an age limit on this club." She conceded before climbing to her feet. Gilderoy looked hopeful for a moment before Snape too climbed to his feet and led the blonde out into the hallway. Ariella stared at him.

 "What are you doing?" She asked once they were alone.

 "I couldn't have my wife walk out angry, now could I?" Snape responded sarcastically as Ariella smiled softly.

 "I think you're going soft, Snape." She chirped as Snape rolled his eyes.

 "I will consider an age limit." He mentioned as Ariella sighed in relief.

 "Thank you."

_________________________________________________________________________________

 "This is absurd." Ariella mumbled as she stood on the sidelines of the dueling platform that Lockhart had conjured. Eager students surrounded her as they looked up at Lockhart and Severus with wonder-filled eyes.

 "Professor Cross has so wonderfully volunteered to be the referee for our match. Now the rules of a duel are simple. Professor Snape and I will take ten steps away from one another and bow. Then we duel. The winner of the duel is the one who is knocked out first, but for now, I'll settle for a knock down." Lockhart announced as Severus bent down toward Ariella. Ariella shook her head and averted her eyes as he straightened back up. Lockhart and he nodded toward one another. Ten steps and they bowed. It was instantaneous. Bright sparks flew from both men's wands and met in the middle. Lockhart winked in Ariella's direction, allowing Severus to overcome him and knock him back. Lockhart recovered quickly and shot a stunning spell in Snape's direction. Snape easily repelled it and set his own. Lockhart wasn't quick enough to fully repel the spell and fell back. Ariella smirked before raising her wand into the air, signaling the end of the duel.