The Plan Is On

By breakfast the next morning, all of the staff were aware of the rouse and were in on it, all except Lockhart.

"I cannot believe I am doing this." Snape mumbled to himself as Ariella appeared in the seat beside him at breakfast.

"Remember, you agreed to it." Ariella reminded him effortlessly as she tore apart her toast, placing each individual piece into her mouth, making the bread last longer. Severus watched her out of the corner of his eye. Her actions were impractical.

"Keep staring. Lockhart's eating his heart out." Snape's eyes widened.

"I was not staring."

"Sure you weren't." Ariella smiled.

"I was not." He reiterated as her smile grew until Lockhart moved to sit on her other side.

"Good morning Professor Cross, Snape." Lockhart smiled at Ariella as Snape sneered at him.

"Lockhart." He responded angrily as Ariella frowned.

"Gilderoy. We must talk."

"Yes, yes, talk we must. Have you spoken to your husband about the duel?" He asked as Ariella looked taken aback. She had forgotten about that.

"What duel? Severus?" She turned to him expectantly as he scowled. Honestly didn't she remember? It was one of the reasons they were pulling this stupid rouse over Lockhart's eyes.

"I told you." He replied simply, turning back to his breakfast. He saw Ariella scowl before he sighed.

"I accept." He answered without looking up and Ariella stared at him.

"But Severus, what are you accepting?"

"Splendid. Our duel shall be the start of a little club I'm thinking about creating. It'll be like an advertisement." Lockhart announced as Ariella stiffened. Nothing good ever came of duels in her opinion. Now this dim wit next to her was going to give the students a reason to fight?

"What club?" She asked, fearing his answer.

"Why a Dueling Club, of course." Lockhart answered smiling. Ariella clenched her fists at her sides and hardened her features but Lockhart didn't seem to notice. Snape did and he didn't like the pain that flashed in his colleague's eyes.

"Ariella." Her name slipped from between his lips and she turned to him in surprise.

"Eat." He continued without looking up at her. She stared at him for a moment more before complying.

"―STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET A HOLD OF YOU―" Ariella looked up in surprise and watched as Ron Weasley slinked down in his seat and a red howler was shouting above his and Harry's heads.

"Stealing a car? What in Merlin's beard does that mean?" She asked as Gilderoy tsked from beside her.

"Haven't you read the Daily Prophet?"

"Not lately, no. Why?"

"Potter and Weasley missed the train." Snape informed her.

"What? What do you mean they missed the train? How did they get here?" She questioned.

"A flying car. Brilliant, of course. Gave him a taste of publicity and he wanted more. I'll have to have a talk with him." Lockhart explained while grinning. His annoying gleaming white smile showcased his perfect teeth and Ariella fought the urge to punch him.

"It is not brilliant! They could have been hurt! Or worse, killed!" She growled as Snape smirked from beside her. Lockhart stared at her with an open mouth.

"But they weren't." He argued uselessly as Ariella narrowed her amethyst eyes on him.

"That does not matter. Honestly, Lockhart, you are so, so..." She let out a scream of frustration as she roughly climbed to her feet. She surprised most of the students and staff as she stomped from the table. Snape rolled his eyes, watching her leave in amusement. Gilderoy Lockhart stared at her disappearing form, flabbergasted. Minerva shook her head in disappointment.