A Window To The Past

By the time Harry came to History of Magic, he was fuming. His brow was furrowed and a frown was set in his features. Of course, this was exactly how Ariella looked as soon as he walked into the room.

Her arms were folded across her chest and she fought the urge to scream at him. James would roll over in his grave to know that Ariella was getting cross with his son over something such as stealing a flying car and flying it to school.

"Mr. Potter, a word please?" Harry looked up in surprise. He stared at her, unsure of what he had done to earn her disapproval. So far he liked Professor Cross. She smiled and made everyone feel good even if they were having a stink rotten day.

"Yes professor?" He climbed to his feet and walked into her office, shutting the door behind himself.

"Harry, about this flying car..."

"Oh not you too, Professor!" He exclaimed in aggravation. She looked surprised, then angry, before her features softened into a kind smile.

"Did you know I went to school with your parents?" She asked as he stared at her. He shook his head.

"Your father and I were best mates and your mother knew all of my dirty little secrets." She replied with a giggle. Harry let his face soften as he listened to her. This woman had known his parents.

"I...I'm sorry I sounded so angry with you. It's just...I don't think I could stand to see you get yourself hurt, that's all." She explained as Harry instantly forgave her. It was out of concern that she spoke to him. Not like Snape, who had punished him to be spiteful.

"It's alright, Professor. I'm sorry I screamed at you." She smiled before patting his shoulder.

"You look just like James, but you have your..."

"Mother's eyes. Yeah, I get that a lot." He remarked with a shrug.

"Lily would have killed you." She joked before ushering him back into the classroom, his anger easily disappearing in her presence.

"Good morning, Professor!" The class chimed happily as she smiled at them.

"Good morning class. I trust you read the assignment?"

********

While Harry enjoyed Ariella's company, he despised Snape's. In potions, Snape made sure to make a fool out of him and sneer at him. He hated the man and it seemed Snape hated him as well.

"He was brutal, mate." Ron whined after Potions. Hermione nodded as Harry scowled. He wished he could talk to Professor Cross again. Find out about his parents, talk about the life he could've had and he wanted to see her smile. Her smile seemed to tell him he was going to be alright.

"Good afternoon." Her voice caused him to grin as she appeared in front of them. Ariella smiled.

"I trust your studies are going well?" She asked as the three second years nodded.

"Was Professor Snape in his classroom?" She questioned, her smile faltering. Harry stared at her. Why would someone as bright as Professor Cross want anything to do with dark Professor Snape?

"Yes, professor." Hermione answered dutifully, smiling.

"Thank you. And Harry?" Harry turned to look at her over his shoulder after she had passed him.

"I'd like to talk to you in my office later tonight, if that's alright." She asked as he nodded enthusiastically. She smiled at him before disappearing around a corner, heading for the dungeons.

"You know something?" Hermione mentioned as they walked.

"What?" Ron questioned as he rearranged the books in his arms.