Part 2 - Chapter 8

Flashback - Noah's POV - I think it's best for everyone if I just forget about this weekend and go back to thinking of her as my little brother's best friend.  Maybe I'll need to start keeping more of an eye on Elle, though, after this, keep her safe from guys like Jason Eaton.

Flashback - Elle's POV

The weekend went by so quickly, I'm surprised June and Matthew are already on their way home, I think to myself as I pack up my stuff from the guest room.  The weekend had turned out so much differently than I had expected.  I've had this crush on Noah for as long as I can remember.  Lee was wrong, though, spending the weekend with him didn't make the crush go away.  Spending time with Noah one on one made me see him in another light.  Not some high and mighty big man on campus like I was used to seeing him in school, he seemed so much more down to earth.  Plus, I had a really awesome time hanging out with him.  I realized the feelings I have for him now feel like so much more than a crush.  I know how stupid that is though, as if I'm in Noah's league anyway, like I would really have a chance with him.  I might as well just go back to thinking of him as my best friend's big brother and forget about our weekend together.

End of Flashback – Elle's POV

I laughed a little to myself, thinking of our younger selves as I leaned into Noah on the couch.  "We had so much fun together that weekend.  I was bummed when Noah's family came home and he went back to pretty much ignoring me in public again."

Noah smiled back at me, his big smile, showing off his dimples.  "I had a great time that weekend too.  My feelings changed for you after that, even if they confused the hell out of me, but I felt like you were always going to be off limits to me.  I thought it would be better for everyone if I kept my distance."  He closed the distance between us at that point, giving me a quick kiss.

Aaron shook his head at us as he added, "And we all know how well that turned out."

Noah took a long drink of his beer.  I watched him as he looked like he wanted to say something but stayed quiet for a few seconds.  Playing with the bottle cap from his beer, he said quietly, "I got in my first fight for you after that weekend.  The first of many."

Surprised, I whipped my head towards him.  "What?"  After my failed date with Tuppen, I obviously realized that Noah had been threatening the guys at school about asking me out, but I didn't realize all that had started this early. 

Aaron let out a laugh, "Elle told me about you scaring all the guys away from her in high school.  You're lucky she let you live after she found out about that.  I'm sure she was pissed about you trying to control her like that."

Noah scowled jokingly at Aaron as a responded, "Yeah, I was lucky that she only bitched me out on the phone once she found out."  He finally looked at me as he continued, "I started paying a lot more attention to all things Elle Evans after the weekend you took care of me and I heard some jerk at school talking about you.  I suggested that it would be in his best interest to stay away from you.  When I heard him talk about you the next day to some other guys, I beat him up."

"I don't remember anything about this.  Who was that?"  I asked as I eyed Noah trying to figure out if he was full of crap or not. 

Noah continued, looking between Aaron and me, "Some idiot from the football team.  He was in my grade, but you had a class together and he was always trying to talk to you then.  He was such a player and thought he would be able to hook up with you.  He was talking in detail about his plans in the locker room.  God, he pissed me off so much.  It still makes me mad to think about him and all those other guys I had to teach a lesson to keep away from you.  What was his name?"  Noah looked like he was deep in thought trying to remember this guy.  I don't know how you don't remember someone you beat up, but I guess when you've gotten in as many fights as Noah, they all blend together.  "Jake. . . no, that's not it, it was Jason."  As he remembered, the smile on Noah's face made it clear he had no regrets about beating Jason up.