Part 2 - Chapter 12

1 year after the Mexico trip

Noah's POV

"Noah, I just heard from Lexi that everyone made it to the beach," Elle called to me from the living room.

I walked from the kitchen into the living room before responding to her.  I didn't want to make too much noise, no point in interrupting nap time if we don't have to.  Our new house is quite a bit bigger than our apartment was and we're not quite used to not being able to talk to each other from any room without yelling.  "Nice of her to make sure we know everyone is in Mexico without us," I responded sarcastically.

Elle smirked at me and my grumpiness.  "You mean, like the year after Leah was born when Lexi and Darren missed the trip and you and Aaron texted Darren about everything you guys were doing?"  She's right, I guess we'll have to take the payback.

"Do you feel bad that we're not there with everyone else?"  I asked Elle, pulling her away from the laundry she was folding to sit next to me on the couch.  We've been back in LA for almost 6 months now and as much as Elle says she is happy to be back in our hometown and close to our families, I can tell how much she misses our friends back in Chicago.  Not that we have time for friends or much of anything else these days anyway.

I thought when Elle and I got back together everything was finally perfect.  And it was perfect with just the two of us then.  But, I didn't realize how much better everything could get, until we had our baby girl, Harper, three months ago.  I mean, maybe I wouldn't mind adding another two or three like her sometime in the future, but right now, with the three of us, this is perfect.  I was so happy when Elle agreed with me that we were ready to have a baby.  Elle isn't big on change and there was so much with this.  Having a baby is change enough, but we also moved back to LA, Elle quit her job, and moved away from pretty much all of our friends.  You can't change too much more than all that.  I've loved all the changes, but I know that has been hard on her.   Don't get me wrong, our time in Chicago was amazing, but I always felt like it was temporary.  LA has always been our home and I knew someday we would be back.  My job, our life there, the only thing that wasn't temporary was our friends.  That is the one part of this that has been hard on me too.

Elle and I knew how lucky we were in that we had the means for Elle to stay home.  I was able to come back to the job I left when we moved to Chicago and it was no surprise that my family was able to help us with buying our first house.  Elle wouldn't need to go back to work if she didn't want to.  At some point, I think Elle will want to go back to work.  She's a wonderful mom but she is such a social person, I know she'll be itching do something where she is around more people again.  I know Elle has her career dreams and I don't want her to miss out on her goals.   

Elle started to pull away from me and stand up from the couch as she answered, "Of course, I miss being with them on the trip, but I'm not upset about missing it.  I wouldn't trade what we have now for anything." 

I wrap my arms around Elle, pulling her back next to me and into a kiss.  "Me either.  Although, I could have gone for a little more sleep last night.  Is there something we could trade to get Harper to start sleeping through the night?"  Elle giggles but then her eyes flash at me in frustration. She's trying to get up but I'm still holding her on the couch with me.  I know how much she tries to get done around the house while Harper is sleeping and I'm always trying to get her to take a break.

Elle finally relaxed against me.  "At the moment, I'm just hoping she'll stay asleep long enough for me to get showered and ready for lunch at your parent's today.  It would be nice if we could make it on time for once."

"We're only going to my parents' house.  It's not like you have to do much to get ready."

"Noah, I haven't worn anything but t-shirts and sweats in forever and I honestly don't remember the last time I got a decent shower.  Let me take the one chance to act like a normal human being before I go back to the life of new motherhood.  Not that I can wear any of my old clothes anyway."