Part 1

You walk through the gates of your new school, aware of the cold stares you are receiving from the Kingsmount pupils. Walking straight through to the main building, you try and avoid looking at anything other than the ground. Pulling out your map you received before term time, you look for your form tutor: room 46. You try to remember that everyone from Westfield is in your position, but you still feel like a sore thumb, sticking out in the crowd of experienced Kingsmount students.

Thankfully, Zoe is in the same form tutor as you, but you can't find her anywhere. You see Jethro, Wozza and Sam down the hallway; thankful to glimpse someone you know, you make your way over to them, but stop as a teacher steps out and begins telling the boys off. You stand awkwardly unnoticed behind her, until she turns and almost bumps into you.

"And what's your name?" She says sharply.

"Y/n miss." You answer quickly.

"Well, y/n, are you unsure of where to find your form tutor or do you enjoy lurking about the corridors."

"No miss, I mean, yes miss, I mean no." You say, before trailing off and quickly apologizing. You walk the opposite way down the corridor, eyes staring at the ground again.

Eventually, you find the room and take your seat next to Zoe.

"Finally y/n, the second bell has nearly gone." Zoe says to you.

"I got lost." You say quickly, putting your bag down under the table and getting out your pencil case. You glimpse around the room at your new classmates. The Kingsmount lot are staying well away from your previous classmates, all except Nancy, who is comforting a pretty girl who is upset about someone moving away from what you can gather.

"I checked, training is this evening at 4." Zoe tells you, and you suddenly feel nervous, but shake away the feeling. You don't get nervous.

"Don't you mean tryouts." You say with a frown. "We have to try out for our own places on the team."

"I know, y/n, but we'll do it. You're the captain." Zoe says.

You scoff. "Not anymore. We're on Kingsmount territory now, which means we answer to their captain."

"Who even is that?"

"I don't know, I haven't met them yet. I haven't really met anyone yet." You say, looking around the room of strangers. "Who's that?" You say, glimpsing the figure of a boy around your age walking into the room. You think you've seen him before, but if you have, it was a long time ago, for he looks different.

"That's the boy who scored that goal against Leon Tibbs at Hawkstone. Jamie Johnson." Zoe says, but looks unimpressed.

"Must be a good player then."

"Yeah."

You suddenly turn to Zoe and try to be as serious as possible. "Zo, we can't lose at the cup again this year. Getting caught cheating last time at the semis was bad enough, but if we don't even make the team..." you say.

"We will, I promise. We've just got to show their coach what we're really capable of."

You nod, but deep down, you are more nervous than you've ever been.