Part 3

You start the game well, you suppose. You're not playing your best, but you always get nervous, especially when a place on the team is at stake.

Zoe, however, was playing amazingly - she scored twice. You finally score once towards the end of the game; it's a good ball, but not one you're particularly proud of.

"What's wrong with you, Y/n?" Zoe says, handing you a bottle of water at the end.

"I can't get into the game!" You reply, a little more aggressively than you meant to, your anger increasing every second.

"Look. You're captain for a reason-" Zoe replies, but you cut her off.

"Ex Captain, Zoe. You really think Hansard's gonna pick me over her?" You say, pointing at Jack, and it seemed Zoe had nothing to come back with.

__________________________

"So." Hansard says, eyeing up his potential squad sitting on the floor of the sports hall. "I've found out who we'll be playing in the first round of the Cup." He pauses for dramatic effect. "Thornlake."

"Thornlake?!" Dillon says.

"We'll easily beat them again!" Jamie exclaims, maybe with a bit too much enthusiasm.

"That's exactly the kind of attitude that put you on my starting line up!" Hansard says, pointing at Jamie with determination.

"And I'm also adding in Sam..."

You feel your face growing hot as you realise there's no way you will have made the team. What would Jethro think now?

"And I want Dillon and Jethro to link up with Jack in Midfield." Hansard continues. "The rest of you must be disappointed. GOOD."
Then he bends down to talk quietly to you and Zoe.

"See Marshall there? That's your role model. She worked her socks off to get where she is today."

You and Zoe glance at each other. Role model. Yeah right.

____________________________

As you walk out the door of the sports hall, you realise Jethro is holding the door open and you immediately stop, noticing how close your faces are.

"Unlucky Y/n."

You hesitate. "What?" You mutter, unable to speak properly for some strange reason.

"The trials. I thought you and Zoe would make the team for sure."

"Yeah..." you manage to say with a smile. "Thanks."

He nods back at you, before walking off, and Zoe sidles up to you, smirking.

"What?" You say, still grinning and staring after Jethro.

"Nothing. Just marvelling over how you managed to say a whole three words to him." She says with another smirk, and you playfully push her.

"Glad you find this so funny and yet here we are without a team to play on." You say.

"Relax, Y/n. Yeah, we didn't make the team this time, but there's still chance."

"What do you mean, a chance?"  You reply, looking at Zoe sceptically.

"Just heard that boy Jamie talking to Jack; he said he's got a Foxborough trial the same time as the game tomorrow."

"So?"

"Soooo, Hansard will be down a player..."

"...so he'll need someone to step in...." you continue, grinning at Zoe.

"Exactly." She replies.