Chapter 10

Natasha's POV

Monday Morning...

I woke up at 6 in the morning, y/n was snuggled into my chest with her right arm tightly wrapped around my waist still sleeping off all the alcohol she had previously drank. I tried moving her arm so I could get up but she quickly tightened her grip and pulled me closer.

"No go. Too early." she mumbled.

Fuck! How could someone be SO adorable and hot at the same time?!

"Natasha?" y/n mumbled.

"Yeah." I replied softly.

"Don't leave." she said, her eyes still closed and her short y/h/c hair brushing against my chin as she got comfortable.

"I won't." I said a genuine smile taking over my face.

"Mmm, da mihi osculum mane (Give me a kiss in the morning)." she muttered as she drifted back into a peaceful deep sleep.

Did she just-maybe she hasn't gotten all the alcohol out of her system.

I didn't dwell on it anymore, instead I joined her in going back to sleep. When I woke up next the clock read 8:03 a.m. I was by myself in my bed but the smell of pancakes and butter filled my nose.

YES!!! I thought and jumped out of bed and ran to the kitchen.

"Someone's hungry." y/n laughed.

"I'm always hungry for you." I said which made her go silent. "That's not what I meant to say."

"Really?" she asked. "Cause it sounded like you were pretty sure."

"No, what I meant was-" I stopped.

"Relax, I'm just messing with you." she said and flipped the last pancake onto a plate.

"What's got you in such a good mood this morning? Honestly, I thought you'd be groaning about having a hangover." I explained.

"I don't know, I guess I'm so used to the hangovers I've grown a tolerance for them." she said.

"When was your last nightmare?" I asked. She stopped all movement. "You okay?"

"There's someone in the hall." she said stiffly.

"It's probably just one of the neighbors." I said hoping for her to ease up.

"No, I know when it's the neighbors or Steve or Tony. I get a sense of relief when it's them but it's not." she explained.

"Fine, okay. You go in the room and I'll go see who it is." I said and went to walk away but she grabbed my arm and pulled me back to her.

"Listen." was all she said. I focused my hearing on the sounds from the hallway. The sound of footsteps walking at a slow, suspicious pace getting louder and louder until they stop. Then, a knock on our door echos through the house.

"Don't answer." y/n warns me but I don't listen. I smoothly slip out of her grip and go answer the door before she can grab me again.

Y/n's POV

Natasha answers the door and a man dressed in all white is revealed. He smiles but not like a friendly neighbor smile, the ones that are nice and warm and welcoming. His smile was crooked and evil, one to make even the unfazed get chills down their spine. But it was familiar.

"Hello?" Natasha asks. I thought I should hide behind the wall or duck behind the kitchen island but I froze.

"Hello," the man replied. "I'm here to see (y/n) (l/n)."

"Why?" Natasha asks.

"That is between me and her." he said and looked right at me. Every muscle in my body tightened, I felt like I was going to collapse. I couldn't think right, it felt like I was drowning and I was desperate for air.

Natasha must have noticed because she tried to shut the door in the man face but his foot stopped it.

"That would be unwise." he said opening the door again. "Poison."

"Dr. Kint." I replied and bowed my head out of habit.

"Enlever l'autre (remove the other)." he commanded to someone in the hallway. Almost immediately, two men came into the apartment and tried to get hold of Natasha but she fought against them.

I know I should have done something, but I couldn't. The memories from that lab just came flooding back and all the happiness Natasha helped me have just disappeared.

After the men struggled against Natasha for 5 minutes, Dr. Kint shot her with a heavy tranquilizer dart sending her straight down. He motioned for the men to take them but I rushed in front of the door blocking them.

"What are you doing?" Dr. Kint asked. I didn't speak, just shook my head no.

The flooding memories made me realize something. Natasha has been through enough, she was finally starting to be happy again after losing her best friend. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I was the cause of more pain in her life.

"Speak." he directed.

"N-not her." I managed.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Just...me. Don't hurt, her." I struggled to get out.

"Alright. Quitte la (leave her)." he instructed. The men sighed in frustration and dropped her on the couch. "Allons-y (let's go)."

Natasha's POV

2 weeks later...

"What do you got?" I asked when I waled into the meeting room I was called into.

"Nothing." Fury said.

"Then, why'd you call me here?" I asked.

"Because I'm worried about you," Fury said. "You're not sleeping or eating. You're constantly working and you're not even talking to anyone. You're acting like you did when Barton died."

"Look," I sighed. "I've know you for a long time but seriously, don't. I don't expect you to understand."

"Then, explain it to me because not too long ago you couldn't care less about what happened to y/n."

"Well, as it turns out she's not such a bad person. Now if you don't mind, I have work to do." I said and turned to walk out but stopped.

"Natasha." Steve said and Tony appeared next to him.

"What is this? An intervention?" I joked.

"Nat, come on. Look at yourself, you're a mess." Tony said. I looked down at my clothes, I was still in the outfit I had been wearing two weeks ago when the incident happened. A black tank top and shorts.

"I just need to find her." My voice cracked, the tears beginning to form in my eyes.

"We know," Steve said and engulfed me in a hug. "But please go home and rest."

"Okay." I whispered.