Chapter 5

That night is one plagued with worries and tears and one altogether terrifying nightmare. But surprisingly, it’s Perrie who has the dream, not Jade.

Jade, is woken from her peaceful sleep by sobs that can only belong to Perrie. She blinks the sleep from her eyes and looks around, disoriented, before spotting the younger girl over by the balcony of their hotel room, clearly trying to keep herself quiet.

She can’t though. Jade watches blearily as Perrie half-faces the glass door and looks outside, covering her mouth with a shaky hand, tears on her cheeks.

“Perrie?” Jade asks, and the other girl jumps, spinning to face her in surprise. “You okay?”

Even then, Perrie manages to roll her eyes and scoff. “No. Does it look like I am?”

“No, shit, sorry.” Jade stutters, climbing out of bed to walk over.

Perrie doesn’t even try to resist, just buries herself in Jade’s chest, taking deep breaths. Tears roll onto Jade’s bare skin but she doesn’t care, not at all, so she guides them back onto the small sofa and cradles Perrie close, kissing her feathery bed-head.

“What’s wrong?” She asks softly, shifting up to lean back, Perrie curled into her.

Still hitching with cries, Perrie snuggles closer, kissing Jade’s neck. “Dream. Nightmare. Just…I just need to remind myself you’re safe and I’ll be okay.”

“Oh, Pez…” Jade trails off, drawing comforting circles on Perrie’s back. “I’m right here. I’m sorry, I’m right here. I’m perfectly fine, yeah? Tell me what happened?”

“It was just. After what you told me today. I just. Imagined it all and I guess my dreams decided to. Um. Show me things I really never needed to see.” Perrie says, trying to keep it together, before she sobs out a “God.”

“Fuck, I’m so sorry.” Jade coos, kissing Perrie’s hair repeatedly. “I should have kept my mouth shut, I’m so sorry.”

She knows just how scary those nightmares are, course she does, but she also knows how helpless they make you feel, regardless of your role in them. And it’s the worst feeling in the world.

“No!” Perrie urges, pulling back with puffy eyes. “No, you need to keep telling me. I want you to. I want to know, I do. I just, kind of forgot that you’re okay, you know? Forgot that you’re safe and right here…”

She trails off and reaches up to cup Jade’s cheeks, stroking over freckles and blemishes with her thumbs gently, so gently. Jade can’t repress her shiver.

“Well I am. Safe and right here, I mean. And I’m going to be okay, and you’re going to help me be okay. Eventually I’ll be better.” Jade promises, nudging their noses together, an action that gets a small smile out of Perrie.

“Yeah. I know that, I do. I just can’t control my dreams, I guess.” Perrie mumbles, looking away with a wince.