Chapter 6

The rest of the day, the girls are nice. Really, really nice. Almost too nice.

They’re obviously trying to be as kind as possible, not trigger Jade, not make her in any way uncomfortable, and she appreciates that, she does, but it’s unnecessary. She tells them so and they fPeznder, apologising and blushing pink.

“Sorry, Jade.” Leigh mumbles, biting her lip. “We’re just getting used to it, you know? We’re not meaning to be all weird.”

“You’re not being weird.” Jade says, rolling her eyes from where she’s sat in Perrie’s lap on the tour bus. They have two more nights before they head back to England, so their schedules are packed, but they manage to have free time. “You’re just being really careful. There’s no need, I’m alright.”

“Shit, true. Sorry about that.” Jesy says, watching intently as Perrie strokes her fingers over Jade’s hip.

“Oh relax, would you?” Jade chuckles, throwing a pillow at Leigh, who’s still brooding. “It’s not a big deal.”

“But it is a big deal, Jadey. We’re trying, we are, but we – well I can’t speak for them, but I – can’t help but see that when we look at you, and it’s worrying, is all.” Leigh tells her, wincing.

Jade blushes, feeling embarrassment snake up her spine, and Perrie holds her closer, kissing the side of her neck to comfort her.

“I’m still Jade.” She whispers, voice cracking.

Because this is what she was afraid of, even back when she was telling Perrie, something that seems like forever ago. She knew it might change the way she saw her, the way she was, and she didn’t want that, and now she’s thinking she’s made a mistake, because she just wants to be Jade, not poor Jade who got abused by her dad and we should all feel bad for her. Shit.

“Course you are.” Jesy assures her, reaching out to touch her leg. “We just want to make this as easy as possible for you.”

“Then treat me like Jade.” She mumbles, staring at her hands.

Perrie, of course, is so in tune with her that she knows just what to do. She cuddles Jade closer, snuggling into her neck from behind, whispering “My Jade.”

When Jade looks back up (blushing, blushing so much), the others are smiling.

“We can do that.” Leigh nods, and they pop in a movie, go back to normal, and that’s that, for the most part.

*

Perrie and Jade get a little more comfortable then, in front of the girls. They cuddle more easily, share sneaky kisses, and hold hands under the table. It reaches a point where even if Jade doesn’t need any comfort, any touch, Perrie gives it to her anyways, just because. Jade does the same, touching Perrie as a reassurance when some interviewer teases her about the X Factor days, and it’s clearly warm-hearted, but Perrie has that fake smile on, so Jade gently brushes her back, making sure it’s not seen. The rest of the interview Perrie has a permanent smirk on her lips.