Chapter 10

Leaving South Shields on Sunday night was an emotional affair. Norma cried. Jade had gotten tearful too, and Perrie had watched on with a fond smile.

They drive off with Jade sitting in the passenger seat, fingers stroking over Perrie's knuckles, smiling for reasons she can't quite sort out.

"What's that face for?" Perrie asks with a grin, and Jade shrugs.

"I don't know. I'm just happy. Feels like I'm leaving it behind." She explains.

Perrie gives her a warm look and her stomach twists like she's a teenager with her first girlfriend. Actually, that's almost exactly what she is.

"You are, love. You've got a bit to go, but. You'll get past it." Perrie tells her.

"Yeah." Jade hums, holding her hand.

They arrive home and it's late, but Jade isn't tired. Perrie is, and she stumbles through their flat and slumps onto the couch, grumbling to herself. Jade chuckles and puts their things away while her girlfriend (she's never going to get used to saying that word) dozes.

She makes them a cuppa as well, tittering about in the kitchen with a new sense of both independence and codependency. It's strange, but welcomed.

She wakes Perrie with a kiss to her forehead and hands her her tea, heart swelling when Perrie's eyes light up happily. Their legs overlap and it's comfortable and sweet and they drain their mugs and cuddle into each other, sharing space.

"Did I tell you how proud I am of you?" Perrie asks tiredly into Jade's neck, nosing there.

The older girl blushes and holds her closer. "Mm, a bit."

"Well I am very, very proud of you. You're really brave, and strong, and gorgeous, and the best girlfriend, yeah?" Perrie brands into her skin with kisses, and Jade's cheeks hurt from smiling so big.

"M'proud of you too. For making me your best girlfriend." She half teases.

"Couldn't be happier to do so." Perrie murmurs.

And then she falls asleep in Jade's arms, curled all into her, peaceful. Jade spends a small while massaging her hair before shifting to drag the blonde Geordie through the flat to their now shared bedroom. She's gentle as she arranges Perrie, tugging her jeans off and pulling the blankets up to her chin.

She climbs in as well after changing, and spoons her from behind, kissing just below her ear and feeling Perrie subconsciously snuggle back into her hold.

Jade's not sure she could be happier.

*

They have a few more days off, and decide immediately not to do much. It's spent lounging about and spending time with the other girls, but mostly just finding themselves as a couple. They fall into their new relationship fairly naturally, for obvious reasons. But it's still new, because the kisses and touches mean more now, and they're no longer scared to just stare.

On Wednesday Perrie tries to cook them a romantic dinner ("Shut up, I'm allowed to be sappy, we're dating now, that's a thing, right?" "Doesn't have to be." "Well I want it to be, so let me do my magic.") and ends up setting it on fire, quite literally.

They order Chinese takeaway and share, feeding each other bites and watching telly.

*

The girls come over on Thursday and they do nothing, just sit and talk and then Leigh's suggested getting high and they're puffing and passing and giggling over nothing. It's something they do sometimes, to unwind and relax.