3.0 Nico x Enby!Reader (Platonic)

Requested by: demiwizard58 Sorry it took so long. 

This is a one-shot based off of my previous Bianca x NonBinary reader to show Nico and readers friendship after Bianca dies :)

~~~~~

You held the weeping boy close to your chest. It had been a full day since you found out Bianca died on her quest. You wanted to do nothing more than grieve and cry your eyes out alone, but you knew Nico needed you. Bianca may have been your significant other, but he had just lost a sister. It was up to you to take care of him now. 

You rocked him in your arms until he fell asleep. Normally, Chiron would punish a camper if they were in the wrong cabin at night. For the two of you, he made an exception. You were all Nico had left. These thoughts plagued your mind as you finally allowed yourself to cry. Eventually, you cried yourself into a deep slumber.

A light shuffling around the cabin woke you up. Your eyes landed on the young, broken hearted boy in front of you. He angrily packed a bag with his few items that he had. "Nico?" You called out. "What are you doing?"

"I'm leaving this stupid place. I don't belong here. We shouldn't have come." He angrily wipes away tears.

You grab him by the shoulders and make him look up at you. "What the Hades are you talking about? Slow down. Tell me what's wrong."

He huffed and placed his drawstring bag on the floor. Plopping down onto his ugly bed set, he explained it to you. "Percy promised he would protect her and he didn't. If I look at him it will remind me of that and that I..."

"You what?"

A red blush covered his face as he turned away from you. "That I like him. How can I like a boy? Especially one that let my sister die? Where Bianca and I come from it's illegal to be gay!"

You placed a comforting hand on his shoulder once more. "Hey, this isn't the 1940s anymore, Neeks. It's okay for you to like a boy. Did you forget that I'm non-binary? I get where you are coming from. It's scary figuring out who you are, but I assure you there is nothing wrong with you."

He leaned into your touch. "I'm just scared. How did people react when you came out as non-binary?"

Running your hand through his dark hair, you told him the truth. "Some people accepted me for who I was, like you and Bianca did. Some people are mean and hateful about it. One thing I have learned is that people fear what they don't understand. They don't understand same sex attraction or transgender people, or gender non-conforming people so they choose to push us away. 

"But their hate only strengthens us. We don't have to live in the shadows di Angelo. We can celebrate who we are more freely now. There's pride in being different. One day everyone will see that."

He nodded and wiped the last of his tears. "I need to figure out who I am, y/n. I can't do that here."

You stand up and grab your backpack from the other side of the room and start stuffing it. Nico glanced at you confusedly. "What are you doing?"

"If you think I'm letting you go on a journey of self-discovery without me, you're crazy. Someone has to keep your nerdy butt out of trouble. Also, I have no friends here yet, so I kinda need to stick with you."

Nico grinned for the first time in two days. You picked up his Mythomagic cards and handed them to him. He threw them down on the floor. "I don't need those anymore. I need to grow up and stop being a kid."

"But being a kid is the best stage of life!" He ignored you. "Just go use the bathroom. We don't have time to make any stops. New York is the monster capital of the demigod world." He sped off to the restroom at your command. 

You picked up the stack of cards and twirled them in your hands. The very first time you met the di Angelo siblings was during one of their game nights in the hotel. Nico went on and on about the cards.

~~~~~

After nearly tripping down the last of the stairs in the hotel, your eyes fell onto the most adorable child you've ever seen in your life. The boy was laying out a series of cards with different characters on them. He was trying to explain the rules of the game to his sister. 

Your near fall caught their attention. Awkwardly waving, you introduced yourself to the siblings. Nico immediately shoved his favorite card into your hand. "That's Hades. He is like super rich, but he also can control skeletons! Imagine having those powers on Halloween!"

You laugh at his excitement as Bianca apologized for his behavior. You politely dismissed her apology. "Mythomagic cards. My (non-godly parent/guardian) used to collect these. My favorite was always (godly parent)."

Nico's eyes lit up. "Finally, someone who can play with me!"

"Nico, that game is for kids. Y/n probably doesn't want to play."

You sit down next to Bianca, a wide smile evident on your face. "Being a kid is the best stage of life, Bianca. I'm down to play a couple of rounds, but you'll have to teach me how, Nico."

~~~~~

A shiver ran through your body as you recalled the memory and the strange similarities between the conversations. There was no way you were letting him leave these behind. You stuffed the pack of cards into the bottom of his bag. You wanted to hold onto kid Nico for just a little while longer.

Nico emerged from the bathroom, his shirt sleeves were soaked with water. You smiled and sighed. Rolling his sleeves up, you helped him slip on his backpack. "Ready to start another adventure together?"

"Heck yeah!" He exclaimed before running out of the door.