2.0 Alex x Reader

Easy

by Ella Mai

Even though Alex didn't show it, s/he thought love was terrifying. Alex always pretended and acted nonchalant, as if s/he were fearless. And Alex truly felt that way, until you stumbled along and changed everything. That's when Alex realized how scary love truly was. Would you accept him/her for being gender fluid? Would you even ever like Alex back?

You made everything look so easy. It's one of the reasons why Alex (who will be going by she/her for the story) began to develop feelings for you in the first place. It wasn't your fighting skills that caught her attention. It wasn't your clumsy ways- even though Alex secretly found it amusing. No, the thing that caught her attention was your willingness to help others, your tender heart, and the way you could light up an entire room no matter what the situation was. Alex felt a connection the day she met you, she was just wondering if you felt the same way.

Everyone around her tells her to take a chance with you. Love is easy, they all say. But when Alex glances over at Halfborn and Mallory, it diminishes her risk-taker personality. What if you would grow to despise her? What if you didn't feel the same and it ruined your friendship? What if...

"Alex, you're overthinking it." Tj said, snapping her out of her rant. "I know love hasn't exactly been the easiest thing for you because of..." He trailed off when he saw Alex shoot him a glance. "whatever your reasons are, but trust me. S/he/they clearly like you back. What are you waiting for?"

Alex groaned and facepalmed. "I don't know if you've noticed Tj, but I'm not exactly the best at confessing my true feelings about things. Remember when I tried compliment his/her/their latest hairstyle?"

Tj tried to suppress his laughter at the memory. "Yeah, you told him/her/them that Kim Kardashian was going to steal the idea. Then you proceeded to tell y/n that his/her/their hair didn't look like a rat's nest anymore."

"Hardy har har. Laugh all you want. I'm telling you, there's no way I can win y/n over when I can't even compliment someone right! It's like whatever I'm thinking, my brain turns it into the most sarcastic comment possible."

"I think that's a personality trait."

Alex glared at dead soldier in front of her. A thousand comebacks swirled through her mind, but she kept them to herself. She slipped on her shades and leaned back in her chair, making her unreadable. Tj rolled his eyes at her stubbornness. Their conversation ended as the rest of their floor mates joined them at their lunch table.

Magnus fist bumped both of his friends in greeting and sat down. You greeted Tj with a bright smile. Hugging Alex around her neck from behind, you jokingly put her in a mini chokehold. "Someone looks grumpy today. You put your ignorance blockers on."

Alex grinned and blushed at your comment. You had given her sunglasses that nickname the night she told Magnus his ignorance was a bliss. He still hasn't forgiven her for that. Alex playfully pushed your face away until you sat down. Tj smirked knowingly at the two of you, but the gesture went unnoticed by you. Halfborn and Mallory, for once, weren't at each other's throats.

"I'm not grumpy. I'm just ignoring Tj's bull-Sif today." Alex commented, making a note to remember the puny curse word replacement she had come up with.

You looked to the boy across from you for a better explanation, but he shrugged it off. You decided to drop the conversation. Whatever it was about, they clearly weren't going to let you in on it any time soon. 

"So, what's the plan for tonight? We always do something on Wednesday nights." Mallory inquired. Halfborn grumbled something under his breath that only she could hear. She blushed and elbowed him in his side.