Voluptuous: Part Two

It was merely five days before her due date when a gush of water woke Norma up from her deep slumber.

8:15 a.m.

She gasps and raises her upper body, reclining on her elbows. As the liquid continues to gush out, she can't help the foolish grin coating her face. It's time. It's finally time to meet her long-awaited little girl.

Her hands peel the covers back and off of her huge body, and for the first time in months, she gets out of bed with no preamble, perhaps the excitement of it all replacing her indolent stamina with authentic vibrancy.

There was an enormous patch in the middle of the bed, on her precious classic organic sheets. Before she has time to register it, there's more liquid flowing down her legs and she squeals in excitement. The transparent liquid pools around her swollen bare feet, and she holds her stomach with discretion.

Norma reaches for her phone on her bedside table, dialing Alex's number immediately with that silly grin still present; it refused to wilt away.

"Hi, baby," he sighs cheerily, and her heart warms at the subtle way he answered the phone.

"My water broke!" she chants with eagerness through the phone.

"W-what!? Now!?" she could hear commotion on the other end and she couldn't help but giggle, trying to imagine him right this second, trying to picture the look on his face.

"Yes!" she chuckles candidly, stepping out of her puddle of amniotic fluid. "I was sleeping. It just happened!"

"Are-are you in pain? I mean, what-Jesus Christ, I'm on my way," he rants restlessly and Norma's heart expands at the artlessness of his concern. "Just-just stay where you are, okay?"

"Where else do I have to go, honey?" she smiles wholeheartedly. "Hurry home! I'm going to hop in the shower."

"Show-shower?! Honey, we have to get you to the hospital!"

"I want to shower," she states calmly as if their child was not on her way. "You have the sirens on?"

This is all new to her. She'd never had her child's father sprint his way to her, with urgency, whenever it was time for their child to arrive on this earth. This feeling is new and she knows it's there to stay. She hates that she wasn't present to see the look on his face when he heard the news, but this is only the beginning of this amazing journey in their lives.

"I need them out of my way," he explains cooly.

"Don't speed," she grins. "I'm fine and we have plenty of time."

"Plenty of time?" the books he had read over the course of her pregnancy had taken a toll on him, for he didn't know how pregnancy and childbirth works. He knows the easy stuff, what most men do, anyway. But Norma knew that all that information had gone out the door since he is in panic mode. "Your water broke."

"I need you to take a deep breath, okay?" Norma crouches on the edge of the bed and relaxes there, her free hand resting on her knee. "I want you home in one piece, Sheriff."

"And I am," he pouts like a child even though Norma can't see him, his tone a lot smoother and carefree.  "I am."

Norma smiles to herself, she didn't know that her love for this man could grow deeper but how foolish of her.

"We're fine, baby," she reassures him with endless love. "I'll see you in a little bit, okay?"

"I'm almost there," he says and Norma can tell that he is trying to keep his cool. "I love you both."

Her eyes shut with adoration for this man, her head tilting with joy. "We love you."

The phone call ends and she looks at the phone with affection, as if his voice was still resonating on the other side. Another gush of liquid brings her back to earth, and she is sure she could almost overhear Alex around the corner, burning tires and speeding his way to her.