Happy Father's Day

I wrote this small shot on father's day. Yes. It's been sitting in my documents since Sunday, June 17th. I figured I would read through it, edit it and post it. It's nothing too fancy, and by fancy I mean nothing like the other one-shots I've ever written. I liked the idea of Alex enjoying a father's day breakfast with his kids and lovely wife. (Why not?) For me, this is exactly how it happened. Okay, I'm done ranting. Enjoy. :)

•••••

A tickle to the nose awakes Alex from his deep slumber. He opens his eyes and spots a tiny human, one that looks just like him, flicking his nose as hard as he possibly can the instant Alex lays eyes on him.

"Happy father's day," Liam says with a happy, content little voice. Alex grins immediately, leaning to the edge of the bed and completely forgetting about the nose flick and the small sting it caused. He picks up his son and in a swift motion, deposits Liam in bed with him.

The little boy kneels on the soft mattress and allows his father to kiss him before speaking again.

"Mommy told me to come get you. Breakfast is ready," he states contentedly.

"Is it?" Alex asks as he brushes Liam's hair to the side. He is as handsome as his father. An exact copy of him. Although his hair is much longer and hugs his face delicately, his caramel eyes and soft features couldn't hide the fact that he's the Sheriff's son.

Liam's nose is just like Norma's. His lips fuller, like his mother's, too. His skin tanner than expected, reflecting a mix of the two in the most significant way.

"Yeah," he responds, leaning down to hug his father.

Alex welcomes him with opened arms, squeezing him softly, the way he knows Liam appreciates. The boy giggles in his arms as Alex tries to tickle him―something Alex knew his son hates.

"No!" he tries to maneuver out of his dad's tight grip but completely fails.

Alex laughs with him, completely knowing what he was doing. His son's tiny giggles grant him with a brand new feeling, something he's never experienced before. With the purest joy. A love so big that knows no regularities―no boundaries.

As soon as Alex stops torturing his oldest, a new set of tiny steps are discovered and they both look towards the opened door, finding a beautiful four-year-old, an explicit mini Norma wearing overalls, staring back at them.

"Daddy!" she runs with a known force and jumps in bed, collapsing with her brother, the motion causing them to fall back onto Alex's exposed chest.

"Ow!" Alex pretends to be out of breath, holding his tightly his chest, exactly where his kids had made impact.

They laugh happily as if what happened was hilarious. After coughing a couple of times and noticing that they were taking no pity of him, he gives up and looks back at them with beaming teeth.

"You almost killed me," Alex tells them, bringing Ava close to him. The little girl wrapping her tiny arms around him, as much as she possibly could, anyway.

"Sorry, daddy," she mutters, her little voice muffled against his chest.

"It's okay, baby," he tells her, letting go of her and keeping his eyes on the tiny creatures that made him a father―the reason why he's celebrating today.

He scrutinizes them with great delight. He doesn't quite get why he spent years hating the idea of having kids and becoming a father. Of never getting married and tying himself to some woman that would make him go crazy in a ridiculous way.

But he was wrong all along. Now, everything made perfect sense. How he waited almost an entire life to find Norma. Now he's happily married with two kids, and it's impossible to picture his life without them―the thought exclusively restricted.