Happy Valentine's Day

"Honey?!" Alex shouts from the bottom of the staircase.

"Upstairs!" Norma exalts from her room. She's been digging through her closet, finding the best attire for tonight but regardless of the million dresses that she owns and the fancy blouses, she can't find anything to wear.

So she stands there, hands on hips with her lip tucked in. Alex's heavy steps on the wooden floor go unnoticed as she tries to focus to finally find the perfect dress, one that can conceal her belly the best.

Alex clears his throat and Norma finally faces him. Her annoyed look immediately vanishes the moment she sees what he's holding.

"Happy Valentine's day," he says with a grin, holding an enormous bouquet of red roses.

Norma is taken aback by his surprise. No one's ever given her flowers. None of her previous husbands even bothered to give her chocolates or even a homemade card. But her Alex is not the same way. When she woke up this morning, he was gone, but he had left a small note on the nightstand for her.

Good morning!

Breakfast is ready and coffee is waiting for you downstairs. I should be back before 5. Wear something sexy and be ready for tonight.

Can't wait to see you.

Happy Valentine's day.

Yours,

A

Norma didn't know what he meant by 'wear something sexy'. Her hormones got the best of her and, annoyed and flustered, she spent the entire afternoon looking for something sexy to wear with no success.

"You-you don't like flowers?" Alex asks timidly, scared that he had made a mistake and had poked an old wound. He had. But in the best way.

Norma noticed that she hasn't said a word since the moment he walked in and he was probably thinking that she was upset. She walks towards him, a slight grin planted on her face. Her tears were now evident and he could see them running down her cheeks.

"You're the first one to ever get me flowers," Norma clarifies, taking the roses from his hands. "I love them."

"You do?" he asks hopeful but with a smile.

"Yes," she confesses through smiling teeth. She brings them up to take a good whiff of the roses that she'll never throw away and keep forever.

"I'm glad you like them," he says, looking at her sweetly. "Are you almost ready?"

Norma just noticed the nice suit he was wearing. Where is he taking her?

"Not even close," her tone desperate yet hurt. She walks back to the bed, placing the roses down on the nightstand, reminding herself to get a pretty vase for her perfect flowers. "I don't have anything to wear."

Alex looks back to the giant mess and mountain of dresses on their bed. He looks back at her with a hint of a smile.

Norma meets his eyes and rolls them in annoyance. "I look like a whale. Doesn't matter which one I try on, I still look fat and gross."

"You are not fat and most certainly not gross, honey," he walks to her, wrapping his arms around her, bringing her close to his chest. "You're beautiful and pregnant. There's a difference."

"Nothing fits me," she says with much discourage.

"Let me see," he lets go of her and starts digging through her pile of clothes. "How about this one? I like how it looks on you."

"Doesn't fit."

Alex nods and fishes for another one. "And this one?"

"That one either," Norma says as she makes room for herself and finally sits down on his side of the bed, giving her swollen feet a rest.