I'm Not Giving You Up

"Did you know Norman came to see me this morning?"

"No. He must have done it while I was out. He didn't tell me anything. What'd he say?"

"Well, he thanked me for everything I've done for him."

"Well, that's nice! That's a nice thing for him to do."

"Then he told me that you and I can get a divorce now. That-that he's gonna get a part-time job and pay for his own insurance."

"What?"

"Yeah. He thinks I manipulated you."

"Manipulated me how?"

"Fill in the blanks."

"You mean he knows we're sleeping together?"

"I-I think you have to tell him the truth, Norma. That-that we're together, and that we love each other and that is not gonna change."

"Okay, but-it's just, it's too soon, it's too soon!"

"Well, it's not gonna get better! Waiting is only going to make it worse. I mean, what-what are you trying to accomplish here?"

"I will know when the time is right. And I don't like being pushed into making a decision by either of you."

"Making a decision?"

"An exchange of information. You know what I mean."

"No, I don't know what you mean."

Silence lingers between them as Alex identifies the meaning behind her words.

"If it's a choice, you-you gotta figure out your choice."

Norma stares back at him admittedly.

"I gotta get back to work. Lock the door when you leave."

She watches him go.

"I'm not giving you up."

"Well, then you gotta tell him."

She didn't come here to argue. She had missed him like crazy and was expecting him to be just as excited to see her. Something inside her throbbed. It hurts her when he's indifferent and tries to play the stoic cop that no one's ever capable of hurting.

Norma stands on his porch as she watches him drive off. But just as he was about to turn the corner, his SUV suddenly stops. Norma's heart quickens when she sees the SUV turning around and heading back towards his driveway.

She can't stand when he's upset. Something inside her despises it the most. Alex hops off the SUV and walks around it, stopping right in front of it; not daring to break eye contact with her.

There he stands, looking back at her with troubled eyes, eyes that resemble the one of a child in need. They don't dare to look away, as if they're both daring each other to see who will surrender first.

But she can't allow Norman to come between them. They had spent two weeks alone, discovering what's like to be in love for the very first time. Learning to cope with a new set up. Having the whole house to themselves and being able to love each other freely with no remorse.

Something had shifted the moment she told him he had to go back to his place and pretend, even if it was for a few days, that it was all fake for Norman's sake.

It was already hard the moment she had to tell Alex that Norman was coming home. Thanks for discussing it with me. She couldn't stand the thought of him being mad at her or upset at something that she did out of the goodness of her heart. It's never been her intention to hurt him but she knows that this is hurting him more than he cares to admit. It's hurting both of them and she couldn't just stand back and watch.