Merry Christmas

"Nononono," Norma takes the wrapped box from Dylan's hands.

"But it has my name on it!" Dylan declares, grinning. "It's mine, mom."

"It is but it's not your turn yet," Norma pinches his cheek and walks back to the tree to place the gift back where it was.

"That's not fair," Dylan says, looking back at Emma, who at the moment was too busy drinking her hot chocolate and enjoying Norma's freshly made brownies.

"Don't look at me," she says. "Go by her rules."

Alex, who is sitting down, legs crossed adjacent to Norma, smiles from his spot. "We're all safe if we do, Dylan."

"Well, how about you open your present, mom?" Dylan walks closer to the tree, perching down and grabbing the one he brought with him. "This one is for you."

Norma omits that it was Emma's turn to open her gift, overlooking her own rule. "Oh, thank you, honey."

They all stare at her, enjoying the full grin cemented on her face. She squealed like a child the moment she ripped the paper with the same enthusiasm.

Norma got to her feet and sprinted to Dylan and Emma as soon as she recognized the fuzzy material inside the box. After squeezing the life out of them, she obliged and handed Dylan the gift he was so eager to open a while ago.

The living room presented the ideal scene Norma had in her head when thinking of her perfect Christmas morning. The only person missing was Norman. But his presents are secluded upstairs, waiting to be delivered sometime this week.

"All right!" Norma exclaims, getting everyone's attention. "I have one more present for you, honey. Well, more like two."

Alex had his hands encircled around his knees, and his big caramel eyes lit up the moment Norma spoke. "Another one? I thought we agreed on two each."

"We did," Norma says gleefully. "But you know, I like to break the rules sometimes."

Alex chuckled as she disappeared somewhere in the corridor. Alex sees when she opens the door that leads to the basement, bringing with her a gigantic box with a bow on top.

"Whoa!" he exclaims as she walks in holding the box proudly, depositing it right in front of him. Alex raised himself up and rested his full weight on his knees, holding his present excitedly, looking back at Norma. "You didn't have to."

"Trust me, I did," Norma sits next to him, being watched by Dylan and Emma from the other side of the room. Alex leans in, trying for a kiss. The moment their lips meet, Dylan groans in disgust.

"None of that! Please!"

Emma nudges his arm. "Party pooper."

Norma snickers and it only causes Alex to kiss her again, rubbing it in Dylan's face.

"Seriously?" he grunts.

"Like you've never seen your mom kiss anyone before," Emma says.

"I've never seen her in love, so it's kind of gross," he says with a slight smirk.

"Shut up," Norma chuckles, grabbing a remaining piece of wrapping paper and turning it into a small ball, throwing it at his head.

"Okay, I'm sorry," he gives up, throwing his hands in surrender with a grin.

Norma looks back at Alex, that same smile he loves adhered to her face. "Open it," she instructs him with a warm tone.

Alex obeys her, ripping off the thin wrapper, exposing a traditional box underneath. He reached for the pair of scissors he had next to him, cutting through the middle of it and creasing the flap that folds in on the top.