Chapter 8

The next morning I woke up with a smile on my face. I was going over to Corey's house today! I fixed my hair a bit better than usual and I wore a pair of black skinny jeans and I had on an oversized plaid shirt with a tank top underneath. The outfit was perfect. My makeup wasn't to extreme but I did put on some eyeliner and mascara.

I started down the stairs to get breakfast and then I heard my parents voices. I stopped. "Where the hell were you last night?" My moms voice was unnerving. "I was just a little late that's all, I told you that I was going to be late."
"You're a liar and you know it. I can see it in your eyes."
Oh god, why now? I had been so happy not even 5 minutes ago. "I'm going to work. I'm not listening to you."

The door slammed and my dad was gone. I went downstairs. "Mom?"
"Are you okay?" My mom smiled a weak smile and nodded. "Yes baby, I'm fine. Just go to school okay? I don't want you to be late." She knew I heard them fighting. I walked over to her and hugged her tightly. "It will be okay mamma." I felt a squeeze as she hugged me back.

I made it to school. Thoughts were racing in my head non stop ever since I heard my parents conversation. Why would my dad be home late? Was he cheating on my mom? How could he do that to us?

The school hallway was busy and and I started to get claustrophobic so I started to walk to my class. I remembered that I left an important paper in my locker so I turned to the lockers. As I reached for the blue binder in my locker I felt a light and playful shove on my shoulder. Corey was smiling his dazzling smile at me. "Hey loser," I said as I smiled. He smiled back. "I like your locker. It's pretty awesome." My locker was decorated with a lot of dark, grungy looking stickers and other weird stuff I liked. "Thanks, it took a lot of hard work to make it look this good. I'm pretty proud of it!" I could smell his cologne as his arm brushed passed me and reached into my locker. "What's this thing?"
"Oh, that thing?" I pointed at it with a finger. "It's called a locker chandelier!"
"Dude, that's awesome."
"I know right, do you want to see something cool? Can I see it real quick?" He went to hand it to me and our fingers touched. A little spark lit up as my skin made contact with his. I shivered.

I pressed the button on the side of the chandelier and colors began to come to life. It lit up and was flashing widely. "Woah!" His face was so cute as he stared at it with amusement. The bell rang for class and I snapped out of la la land. I placed the glowing object in my locker and shut it. The colors were still flashing as we parted ways for class.

Corey and I sat at the lunch table. I had been having a great day. I wondered about how long it would take for the battery's to run out of my locker chandelier. "Winnie, can I talk to you for a sec?" Corey and I both looked up. Hannah was standing there beside our table. She looked very tired.

"Sure, Corey I will be right back."
"Okay." He bit into his ham and cheese sandwich. Hannah and I walked outside to the court yard and sat down on a bench. "So, I told my Mom.."
"That's good, what did she say?" She did not say anything for a while and then she said, "she kicked me out."

"What?!" I understand that getting pregnant at 17 isn't the most amazing thing to do, but seriously? What is she supposed to do now? "Have you tried speaking to any other family? Is anyone going to help you?" She began to cry. "Nobody is going to help me. Nobody. What am I supposed to do?! I can't support this baby all on my own!" She continued to cry. I hugged her and she just sat there and cried. When she was done there were tear stains left on my shirt.

I returned back to the lunch table and Hannah came along with me. "We are back."
"Oh, hey." I quickly could sense Hannah feeling awkward so I introduced her to Corey. "Corey this is Hannah. She is my.... friend." He gave her a quick smile and introduced himself.

It was my last class of the day and I was so ready to go to Corey's house. My mom was right. I did need some stress relief. Besides, I really wanted to get to know Corey and we didn't have a ton of time to spend together at school. Our time seems to always be limited. The final bell rang and I quickly got out of class. Corey and I met at his locker.

"Hey cutie" I blushed. "Man, I'm so glad school is over." Me too, I thought. "I know, my last class is so boring." We walked out to the parking lot. "What class do you have?"
"American History. The teacher is so weird. Plus, her lipstick is always all over her teeth and it looks disgusting!" Corey laughed and said, "Oh I know who you are talking about! I have her class too in the morning."
The parking lot was huge but we finally made it to his car. It was a really nice red convertible. "It's beautiful Corey!" He opened the car door for me and slid inside. "I thought you would like it, pretty nice huh?" I smiled and he came around and got in. He started the vehicle and turned on the radio.

"All right, " he said as he put the car in drive.
"Let's get the hell away from this school!" And with that, we started on our way to his house.