Chapter 5

I lived close to the school and I walked to school every morning. After I gotten rid of Derek I went home. Yeah, I ditched school before it was over.

Oh well. I walked home with tears streaming down my face. Why couldn't he just stop already? Why me? I walked up to house and was thankful to see that my parents weren't home. I dropped my bag and it plopped down on the hard wood floor. I went to the fridge and grabbed some strawberries. I bit into one and it was sweet. Unlike me.

As I plopped on to the couch, the house phone started to ring. I ignored it for a few seconds but then it continued on. I finally got annoyed enough to answer. "Hello?" A familiar voice spoke to me and I was stunned.

"Winnie, this is Hannah..." I didn't speak for several seconds and she said, "Hannah Silver? Do you remember me?" I finally found my voice and said, "Yeah, you know I could never forget you Hannah. What's wrong?" I could hear her sniffling and she cleared her voice and spoke. She whispered her words as she said them over the phone.

"I'm pregnant. I don't know what to do. I can't tell anybody. My parents don't even know."
She began uncontrollably sobbing over the phone and I tried to calm her. "Look, are your parents home?" She told me that she was at home. She explained to me that her parents believe she is sick with a cold and that's why she is not at school. "Listen Hannah I don't have a car. Can you drive to my place?"

Hannah arrived at my doorstep 15 minutes later. After 10 minutes of her bawling, she began to come to and talk. "I-I don't know what to say Winnie.. I can't believe you are comforting me after what we did to you.."
I can't either I thought. "Forget it Hannah, it was forever ago." We sat in silence for a few moments and it was not awkward. "So, who is the guy?"

Why didn't I see this one coming? Of course, it had to be Derek. "Has he ever hit you Hannah?" I sat and waited for her to say something but she just looked down. "Yeah, he's hit me before. More than once actually."
"Has he hit you recently?" She nodded and I closed my eyes to register the information for a second.

"How far along are you?"
"I'm six weeks."
"Hannah you have to tell your parents."
"I can't. How?"
"I don't know the answer to that, but you have to..."

Okay, so I wasn't good at that comforting thing. Hannah left eventually and I told her she could come over or call anytime. My parents arrived shortly after she drove home. My mom got home first. I was sitting in the kitchen when she walked through the door. She tiredly smiled at me and went to the fridge. "Hey mom." I wanted so badly to bring back some relationship with my mother.

"Hey sweetheart, how have you been lately?"
"I don't know really, tired I guess." She came and sat down beside me with her yogurt and a spoon. As she dipped the spoon into the yogurt she said, "I think everyone's tired."

I went upstairs to my room for the first time that night and plopped on to my huge bed. My cell phone started to ring. Corey was calling me. "Hello?" I sat up. "Hey, did I wake you up?" I looked over at my clock and it read 10:00. I said, "No, you didn't."

"Okay, good. I would have felt like crap if you were asleep." "Nope, I usually don't fall asleep until 1 or 2 in the morning." "Why?" "Well, I have night mares like you do and I wake up in the middle of the night a lot." "What are your nightmares about?" I told him about how my nightmares were about my brother.

"That's awful. I'm so sorry."
"It's okay. I guess that's life."
"Yeah, but things will get better. Just keep your head up, and remember if you ever need me Winnie... I'm here."

Hey loves! 😘
Did you like this chapter? Look forward to the next chapter soon! Thank you so much for all of the support!
Love,
Kev