Chapter 4

Nya's POV

Class ended fifteen minutes ago, but I stayed back because:

1) Lloyd had a lacrosse session to teach

2). The project that I'd been working on could use some slight tweaks and adjustments, and I wanted to make those changes before we presented them to class.

Footsteps approach me, and a brown paper bag is set down in front of me. I look up to see Jay's flustered face as he pushes the bag aside, before looking at me.

"Jay..."

"Before you say anything, I wanted to apologise. What I did at the party was...horrible and scarring, and that's not me, at all. I'm never like that and I feel so guilty for trying to make a move on you, and I know this is barely enough to make up for what I did to you, but I was hoping we could start over, completely fresh."

From the bag, he pulls out two to-go cups and two small bundles.

"I got us some coffee and croissants from the coffee shop nearby. I wasn't sure how you like your coffee so..." he digs through his pockets, before dumping out several handfuls of sugar and milk sachets. Looking down at the pile, he clicks his teeth, "Yeah...I think I took too much..."

A smile lifts on my face. 

The fact that Jay would go to such lengths just shows how sorry he is. From past encounters, he really is one of the sweetest people I've ever met. Blaming your actions on alcohol is never right, but at least he's putting in the effort to make up for his actions.

I take one of the cups and tug off the lid, dumping in some sugar and milk, "Fine, but if you pull something like that again, I will personally send you to your grave. Deal?"

He smiles, holding out his pinkie, "Deal."

My gaze lowers to his outstretched pinkie, before I link through it with my own, sealing the promise. His hands are a lot bigger than mine, but warm and comforting too. It gives me a sense of joy on the inside.

We pull our hands away, and Jay goes to unwrap the tissue parcel, revealing two big pastries. As we ate and drank, I initiated the conversation, 

"So...what made you decide to get utterly wasted, then?"

Jay shrugged, staring down at the table, "My parents, I guess. They care so much about my presence on social media, and their careers that they don't bother to take a minute and ask how I'm doing mentally, physically and emotionally. All they care about is their jobs, and I have to keep a clean slate because anything I do will reflect on them."

"Oh..."

"After they hired Ed and Edna, they weren't around as much. I got pissed, having to spend every family holiday alone. And, um...Ed and Edna, they were given the weekend off so I decided to hold a huge party, just...blow the place out, I guess."

"And you got drunk?"

He nodded, "I remember waking up on the floor of the library, and the memories just hit me, along with a hangover." He clutched his head, as if the pain were still there, and pretended to wince. I chuckle at his humour while he continues, "I was freaking out when I remembered what I did to you...and an apology in-person is way better than a shitty message. Thought I'd get coffee and croissants to go with it, too."

I sip my coffee, "Mm...I should have you apologise to me more often then."

"Hey!" He throws an old rag at me, which I catch and set it down beside me, grinning. Jay bites into his croissant, spraying crumbs everywhere, and all I can do is giggle at his antics.