Chapter 19

Nya's POV

"...and that concludes my final project: The Lady Iron Dragon." I once again gesture to the newly made motorbike, and the class erupts in applause. From the back of the room, Jay cheers the loudest, and the teacher too, marks a few notes down on their clipboard, giving me a nod of approval. I go to my seat just as the final student takes my place.

I'm enveloped into a tight hug by Jay, who's smile could light up a thousand rooms, "You were amazing," 

"I couldn't have done it without you," I admit. Even with me standing and him sitting at the stools, I'm still shorter by a few inches much to my frustration.

"So do I get my answer?" I look down awkwardly. Indeed I had thought about this long and hard through the course of yesterday and today. 

And I finally had my answer.

"Yeah, I do. Listen, Jay. You're awesome, really, but I can't..." His face falls and I inhale shakily, continuing, "...can't do this. Everytime I'm in a relationship all I see is Lloyd all around and it's not going so great for me."

"But you aren't with Lloyd anymore," he points out.

"I really want to be with you-"

He holds my hands gently, "Then be with me. You want it, I want it, so what's stopping you?"

His eyes search mine, eyebrows furrowed in concern. I couldn't bring myself to look at him, and I slowly pulled away.

"I just think that...we're better off as friends for now."

"But why won't you give us a try?" He asks in a sad tone. I blink quickly, my toes curling inwards.

"Because being with Lloyd broke me," I whisper, "And I just need some time to come back from that, and what you and I have now, it's good. And I don't wanna fuck it all up over a relationship."

"So every chance you get at love, you're just gonna push it away?"

"What? I'm not pushing love away!"

"Really? Because you're pushing me away right now! Please, give us a chance. We can take this slow, see where it goes."

Shaking my head, I pull away from Jay's hold.

"I...I have to go."

Tears in my eyes, I tug the strap of my bag tighter, walking out of the classroom and leaving behind a heartbroken Jay.

***

Kai isn't home from wherever it is he's at. Good. I could use some moments alone. I flop onto the sofa, hugging the cushion, letting the tears fall.

I love Jay. Jay loves me. It was the perfect solution. It broke my heart saying no, and it broke his too.

But it was for the best.