not fast enough - bad end

(4915 words)

He hears you enter.

Your footsteps immediately stop, so he could assume you see him, hand piercing the unfortunate man's chest.

Clenching his fist, he rips it out of the tall man's body.

It was a struggle to get this host–Lem fought like a rabid dog.

He feels his grin widen to an unnatural extent.

When you had entered, you were not ready to be confronted by the sight of Lem's hand through Whitty; there was no reason.

Why would he?

It didn't make sense.

"Lem, you-" Your words catch in your throat as he looks over his shoulder.

Even Lem?

Even Lem couldn't win?

His blue irises bore into yours, and you stumble back, hitting the now solid exit and dropping the plastic. Sliding down it, you ignore the sound of him standing up in favor of pulling your knees to your chest, heart rate dangerously fast and breaths rapidly devolving into hyperventilation. You let your head fall, trying to avoid seeing him.

You couldn't beat him.

You couldn't ever be fully rid of your past.

You couldn't escape.

You couldn't be happy.

Gritting your teeth, you hear his steps stop in front of you.

Your brother...

Whitty...

Lem...

You would never see them again.

You would never see anyone again.

Your eyes begin to burn, soon soothed by the tears that filled them. Clenching your eyes shut, you find yourself unable to steady your breathing. No tears managed to escape, but how your chest shook with each breath showed how close you were to breaking down.

"Darling..." He murmurs, kneeling in front of you.

"I hate you." Your voice was weak, each word trembling as it fell from your lips. "I hate you so much."

His expression mellows out, nearly passive as he reached out. His lips curve down as you flinch away from his touch. "That's fine. You can hate me as much as you want."

You knew what he meant.

"As long as you're with me."

As long as you were by his side, he didn't care if you hated him, or wanted him dead.

"I love you."

"Shut up. Stop talking in his voice." Before, with Whitty, you told yourself that it would be fine–even if he was using Whitty's voice to say what he wanted, you knew he would never say the things Senpai made him say. But Lem...

He said those three words just a few hours ago.

"Darling, he hurt you. How can you still care for him?" His tone was soft–it made you sick to your stomach.

"Because he cared for me."

He listened to what you wanted.

He made sure to avoid what he knew made you panic.

He changed for you.

Senpai never changed; he was static, and locked in his ways.

"Does doing this all for you not show how much I care?" Gently grasping your shoulders, he sat in front of you.