Chapter 12: What A Nightmare!

*Sakura's POV*

"Let's watch anime together at our place. I'll be helping mom make her famous delicious lasagna and home baked garlic bread." Natsumi said happily.

Ayumi had a wide grin on her face. "In that case, count me in!"

"I'm in if I get to have a nap after or during whatever anime it is we're watching." Ichigo said with a small smile

"Usagi-chan and I can't wait! We love it when you and mom cook dinner together. Do we still get to eat sweets after, though?" Emiko asked with her head tilted to the side.

I shook my head and laughed. "Emiko, you'll get a stomach ache if you eat sweets straight after dinner. At least give it some time before you start devouring everyones sweets first."

Emiko pouted. "Okay."

Seconds later, Emiko's face lit up like lights on a Christmas tree. "You hear that, you guys? Sakura's offered all of your sweets up as a sacrifice! Better hide them before Usagi-chan and I find them. But never fear, for we shall think of you while we consume them! Right, Usagi-chan?"

The rest of us sweat-dropped. Of course, candy is all Emiko thinks about.

I opened my mouth and was about to say something, but was interrupted by shouting and people moving past us to escape from something.

Fire engines and a couple of ambulances zoomed past us and was headed towards mine, Emiko's, and Natsumi's house.

I felt a cold shiver run down my spine. "I have a very bad feeling about this. Let's go see what's going on." I ran down with the others running behind me yelling my name, calling for me to slow down.

My nose scrunched up at the smell of burning. I looked up to see where it was coming from, and noticed that the burning smell had traveled from the direction my home is.

Mom!

Not waisting any time, I picked up speed and ran as fast as I could. My heart was fearing the worst.

I squeezed my eyes shut, silently praying that the woman who adopted me, the woman I have known all my life as my mother, was alive, safe, and away from this situation.
'Please, please dear God, don't let anything happen to her! She's a good person, please don't punish her! She's all we've got!'

'Don't do this for me, God, do this for my sisters, and for my best friends Ayumi and Ichigo, who think of her as family, too!'

'Please!'

Just as I reached closer to the house, a couple of police officers cordoned off the area and ordered us to back away. I ignored them and ducked under the tape to get closer, but stopped and stood frozen in place, looking at the house in horror.

The once myself, Natsumi and Emiko once called home is now completely covered in flames.

Firefighters were doing their best to try and spray water to help cool down the burning flames, but the fire would come back with a vengeance as if trying to achieve something.