10, before the glade

8 years ago

8 years ago

DR. GREGORY VITIELLO HELD HIS daughters' hands as he walked them through one of the many WICKED buildings. He and his wife Juliet adopted the two girls when they were two and three.

Their eldest daughter, Trinity, born with big brown eyes and beautiful curls, was full of spunk from the moment she began talking. She gave Greg and Juliet the most trouble, always running around and doing things she wasn't supposed to. As soon as she grasped the concept of being a big sister and having a little sister, she fiercely protected Daphne with everything in her.

Their youngest, Daphne, attracted Greg when he saw the blue-eyed brunette child solving a puzzle that was way too hard for someone heard age. As soon as he saw her, Greg knew Daphne was brilliant. And she needed someone almost as intelligent as her to raise her, to make sure she grew up with her mind being challenged and trained.

And that's exactly what he did. He taught Daphne everything about science and math, formulas and equations. He wanted to make her as intelligent as possible, and used all sorts of methods to do it.

Daphne was now ten years old, and Trinity was eleven. Greg had to take them to work with him now because their mother died last year due to the Flare virus. Daphne's eyes widened as she looked around at all the technology around her. She grew excited when she saw the lab.

"Dr. Vitiello," A blonde women walked up to the father and daughters. "Who are these two young ladies?"

"This is Trinity," Greg gestured to his curly-haired daughter and then gave the blonde women a look before pointing at his other daughter. "And this is Daphne."

"Daphne," The women smiled. "I'm Dr. Ava Paige, your father has told me a lot about you."

"It's nice to meet you." Daphne smiled.

"You as well," Ava nodded and noticed the little girl taking quick glances at the lab. "Would you like to see the lab?"

3 years ago

When Ava introduced the concept of the Maze to Greg, he thought it was a decent idea. It was a way to test brain activity and figure out why this generation of children were immune to the flare. He realized that they would need something to compare the immunes too, so he suggested putting in non-immune kids as well.

There was one thing that the two doctors didn't agree with though, and Ava knew this without even suggesting it to Greg. She wanted to put Daphne and Trinity in a maze, but of course, their father would never agree. He loved his daughters, no matter how much challenge he put them through. However, Ava knew it had to be done.

From the moment she met Daphne and Trinity, she realized how incredible they were. They were the perfect duo to study, the athletically inclined versus the academic. They were perfect for the maze.