13, strength in survival

"DAPHNE, YOU KNOW THIS," Dr

"DAPHNE, YOU KNOW THIS," Dr. Gregory Vitiello looked at his 9-year-old daughter. Daphne's lip began to quiver and she bit it, not wanting to cry. She could already feel water flooding her eyes and looked down, ashamed. "Daphne, answer me!"

"Um—" She mumbled, frantically searching her mine for an answer. "I don't know."

"What?" Greg yelled, looking at the brunette.

"I don't know." Daphne repeated, covering her face with her hands and she sobbed quietly. Greg shook his head with disappointment, walking over to a table and grabbing a device.

She immediately knew what it was when he turned it on, a buzzing noise filling the room. Daphne's head shot up from her hands, and she desperately shook her head at her father. "Please, no! Please, please."

"It's the only way you'll learn, Daphne." Greg sighed, attempting to grab the girl's arm but she moved out of the way. "Daphne."

Daphne looked up at her father, her small sobs shaking her. Greg gave her a stern look and the little girl shakily reached out her arm. She let out a small cry when she saw the small circle scars from previous time.

She dared to glance at the contraption that created the scars for just a second. An open wire where small sparks of electricity sparkled from it. The sight of it made Daphne shiver and want to beg for Trinity to come save her.

"The Alkali metals of the period table are lithium, sodium, potassium, rubidium, cesium, and francium." Greg said softly and Daphne nodded frantically, praying he would change his mind. "Say it!"

"The Alkali metals of the period table are lithium, sodium, potassium, rubidium, cesium, and francium." Daphne repeated immediately. "Please don't do it."

The wire moved closer and closer to her arm as Greg whispered. "The Alkali metals of the period table are lithium, sodium, potassium, rubidium, cesium, and francium."

Daphne began to shake her head again as her body shook slightly, feeling the vibrations from the wire even though it wasn't touching her skin yet.

"The Alkali metals of the period table are lithium, sodium, potassium—"

She heard a high-pitched scream.

Daphne shot up in her bed, panting. She immediately held up her arms, pushing her sleeves up to see the circle shaped scars. That's how she got them. Her father gave them to her.