19, it was for her

DAPHNE GOT SCARED EASILY, she was just a naturally jumpy person

DAPHNE GOT SCARED EASILY, she was just a naturally jumpy person. And with a sister like Trinity, who was always looking for an adrenaline rush, Daphne was worried about 75% of the time.

Like right now. Rain poured throughout the Glade, everyone gathered under the hammock gazebo. It was silent as they all watched the doors of the maze. It was starting to get later in the day, and the runners and Alby still hadn't returned. Nobody dared to say a word about it, but everybody knew something was wrong.

And it was driving Daphne crazy. She played with the sleeves of her sweater, her grip tightening every few seconds when she realized Trinity still wasn't back yet. Running her hands through her damp hair, she bit her lip, trying to calm her breathing. Newt stood behind her, wrapping an arm across her chest and pulling her to his chest in an attempt to get her to relax.

"They should be back by now. What happens if they don't make it?" Thomas spoke and Daphne tensed up at his words. They had to make it back. Trinity had to make it back.

"They're gonna make it." Newt promised, pulling Daphne closer to him and her hands wrapped around his arm, digging her nails into his skin slightly out of stress.

"What happens if they don't?" Thomas questioned.

"They're gonna make it." Newt repeated.

Daphne looked up at him, both of them knowing what happens if they don't make it back. Newt would be in charge of the Glade. The runners wouldn't have any Keepers. Daphne would lose her sister.

She let out a shaky breath and Newt met her gaze, whispering, "She's gonna make it."

-

The rain stopped, but that didn't ease Daphne at all, since the runners still weren't back yet. She stared at the doors, her and the rest of the Glade now standing in front of them.

Thomas was beginning to lose patience, "Come on, guys, can't we send someone after them?"

"That's against the rules. Either they make it back or they don't." Gally shook his head.

"We can't risk losing anyone else." Newt spoke, glancing at Daphne, who's eyes didn't leave the doors.

Daphne's heart stopped when a gust of wind hit the Gladers. Tears rushed up to her eyes as the doors began to close, and she finally spoke, "No, no,"

Newt wrapped an arm around her but she gently pushed him off, walking closer to the door as Daphne continued to shake her head. "Come on, Trin. Please."

"There!" Thomas pointed at the doors where Trinity, Minho, and Alby finally showed up. Alby was in the middle of the two of them, his head down.

"Wait, something's wrong." Newt said.

Trinity looked up, making eye contact with her sister as she and Minho carried Alby, his arms across their shoulders.

"Come on, Minho, Trinity, you can do it!" Chuck shouted and the other Gladers began to scream, encouraging the runners.

Daphne didn't say a word, the two sisters continuing to stare at each other. Trinity shook her head softly, tears in her eyes.

Glancing down, Daphne's eyes widened when she noticed the blood dripping down Trinity's arm, the older sister mouthing, "Help me."

She didn't have to tell Daphne twice. Turning to Newt, Daphne whispered, "I love you."

The blond's eyes widened immediately, and by the second that he realized what she was about to do, Daphne was already running into the maze. He reached his arm out to grab her, but she was already gone.

"Daphne!" Newt screamed, Gally and Frypan holding the blond back.

"Thomas, no!" Chuck yelled and Daphne glanced behind her for a moment as she ran faster, seeing Thomas running behind her.

She lunged forward, landing on the ground and immediately stood up. Trinity looked at her, eyes wide, as she spoke, "Daphne."

"Trinity." The two hugging immediately.

"God, you're a dumbass, aren't you supposed to be the smart one?" Trinity shook her head.

"Dumbass, you told me to help you!" Daphne reminded.

"I know!" Trinity sighed and looked at Thomas, who got up from the ground. "What I don't understand is why the shuck you're here, slinthead."

"She's right, you just killed yourself." Minho panted and Daphne took a roll of bandage gauze out of her pocket.

"Alright, pull up your sleeve, let me see." Daphne mumbled and Trinity sighed, pulling up her sleeve to reveal a large cut on her arm. Daphne wrapped it quickly.

"We got to get going." Minho stood up. "The maze is already changing."

Daphne looked at Alby, seeing the wound in his head and she winced.

"Daph, come on." Trinity rushed her and the two began to pick up Alby, Thomas helping them. "Minho!"

He gave her a look, rolling his eyes before walking over.

-

Most of Daphne's ideas were usually good ones, and she was hoping her current one was another winner. Alby's unconscious body was tied to the vines as Daphne, Trinity, Thomas, and Minho all tried to pull him up to the top.

"The ground is so slippery." Daphne mumbled.

"It's probably Griever spit." Trinity replied.

Eyes widening, Daphne gasped, "What?"

She let go of the vine, making Trin, Thomas, and Minho all groan.

"Stop playing around, or we're all dead." Minho scolded them sternly and Daphne grabbed the vine.

The group jumped slightly when they heard the growls and scratches coming their way.

"Shit, shit." Daphne mumbled, pulling on the vine harder.

"Alright enough, we have to go." Trinity pulled Daphne up and the younger sister shook her head.

"Trin, it's Alby! We can't just leave him." Daphne defended.

Minho's eyes widened when he saw the Griever coming down the hall, he looked at Trinity and Daphne before Thomas, "I'm sorry."

"Minho, no!" Trinity yelled and the runner bolted away, dashing down the halls of the maze.

Thomas slipped under the vines and Trinity smiled, "Thomas, you're a genius."

"Didn't do it on purpose!" Thomas panted softly as the sisters hid under the vines as well. Trinity covered Daphne's mouth, knowing how skittish she was.

A shiver brushed Daphne as she heard the mechanical walks of Griever past them. She closed her eyes, trying to pretend she was anywhere else. In the maze, in a bed with Newt, safe— God, why did she leave?

Daphne glanced at Trinity who's hand removed itself form her mouth. She was why she left. Her sister was in trouble, of course she was gonna try to help her. It was for her, the first person in her life she can remember loving and the first person she can remember loved her.

The three stepped out of the vines, Thomas quickly tying Alby in place and Trinity pushed him and Daphne against the wall, a finger to her lips.

Tensing up again, Daphne closed her eyes before she could feel Trinity's hand on her shoulder relax.

"Okay you shanks, stay by behind me, follow my lead, and we might get out of this alive." Trinity whispered in the quietest voice and Daphne and Thomas both nodded. "Glad we understand each other."