Chapter 4

I have no idea why, but I immediately trust her. Something about her kind smile makes me feel safe. Plus, trustworthy or not, I don't want to spend one more minute alone with Kyan. I offer a hand up to the boy I kicked and he quickly takes it, almost pulling me down as I pull up his weight. He's a few inches taller than Kyan, who isn't even short himself. The boy has an athletic frame, like someone who spent every free period in the gym. He'd be almost threatening if it weren't for the smile plastered on his sun-tanned face. He gets to his feet and grimaces, laughing a bit to himself.

"That's one nice kick you've got there." He tells me. "The name's Drew. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"I'm.. uh... Nox." I reply and point to myself awkwardly, feeling a bit flustered. "And this is Kyan." I gesture towards him. Kyan waves and turns away, his face emotionless. My eyes return to the large metal beast behind the crowd of strangers. "What's that?" I ask.

"That's a truck." Drew's tone becomes condescending.

"Drew, be nice. These two have probably never even seen a truck, car, plane, or even a microwave." The lady in front tells him.

"Poor, poor children." Drew says in a fake dramatic tone.

What the heck is a microwave?

The lady ushers us into the "truck" and pretty soon everyone is seated on the comfortable tan cushions. Kyan and I sit next to each other in the center car's two back row seats. Drew and the white-haired lady sit up front. I am suddenly refilled with excitement. If this ride is going to be anything like a ride in a train, I know I'm going to enjoy it.

"My assistants in the other trucks will be out searching for other newbies, so you'll be stuck with us two on the way back!" She tells us. "Oh! I forgot to mention! My name is Occi." The white-haired lady tells us. "Everyone calls me the leader of the Outsiders, but don't feel like you have to put up any act in front of me, ok? Drew, please give these children some food and water, they must be starving."

Drew passes back a bottle of water to both me and Kyan along with a huge plastic bag with the words "Potato Chips: Original Flavor" on it.

I didn't even realize how achingly thirsty I truly was feeling until the bottle is in my hands. I promptly open it and pour the cold liquid down my throat. Before I even know it, the bottle is empty, and I sit in a daze wondering what to do next.

"Thank you." I tell him as I open the bag of food. Kyan takes the bag from my hands before I even get a chance to see what's inside.

"Save some water for the chips." Drew tells me and passes back another bottle.

The car starts moving with a jerk and I'm so startled I almost drop my water. Kyan barely flinches at the car beginning to move. He is too busy stuffing his face with the so-called "chips". I reach over, pull one out, and pop it in my mouth. It's crunchy and salty and better tasting than anything I'd ever eaten before. I quickly grab another and another and pretty soon Kyan and I are both fighting over the almost-empty bag.

"You got most of them!" I say like a little kid. "Be fair!"

"What are you, five? Grow up Nox. You forced us out here and almost got us killed. I think I deserve a few more chips than you, so shut up." Kyan looks out his window and away from me, angrily popping an occasional chip in his mouth.

I look out the window as well to find the scene is exactly the same, the flat land stretches out as far as I can see, without a single bit of life in it.

"Are there any trees where we're going?" I ask. "Like ones with fluttering leaves and pretty flowers?" Like the ones from when I was 13. I almost say.