Chapter 16

"You're an idiot." Drew says. "Haven't you learned by now that no matter how hard we try we can't do any freaking thing to protect us from the government's stupidity?"

"Become... Opulent? I don't think trying to blend in with a whole bunch of picky rich people with snotty attitudes and no respect for humanity is a good idea." I say.

"No! It's a great idea!" Occi tells us. "None of those people have any idea on how to fight, so we'd have the upper hand if anyone found us out!"

"You're trying to kill us!" Drew face-palms.

"Drew, I would never do that." She says. "I just believe that it's the most logical thing to do."

"Fine." Drew says. "If we find a place on your map-radar-thing then we'll fly out there, but if anyone gets killed, it's on your head."

"That's fair." She replies.

Kyan leans closer to me, whispering in my ear. "You realize how bad of an idea this is, right?" He says. "It's enemy territory. If they find us, there's no escaping. We're goners."

"I know. I know." I reply. "We'd have to be insanely careful." I pause and look over his shoulder to Occi and Drew. "Still up for ditching them and surviving on our own?" I ask, my voice so hushed it's barely a whisper.

"We're past that now. Now that people know where we are, we can't stay out in the open. We need to at least follow the device to a house." He replies.

"I agree." I say.

"What are you guys talking about?" Drew asks. His arms are crossed, and his expression is belittling.

"Oh, nothing." I say, faking a smile to try to change the subject.

"I don't believe you." He says.

"It's nothing!" I tell him. "Do you not trust us anymore? Can't we have a conversation without you two involved?"

"No." He answers. "If we're going to trust you, you can't keep secrets from us."

His attitude towards me has changed so much so suddenly I have to stop myself and think of how to reply. Lucky for me, Kyan does it for me.

"I was just telling her that whatever the plan is I want the two of us to stay together." He says. "Knowing you you'd split us up." He muttered.

"As much as I'd love to use you as bait to get us in, I know Nox would probably kill me for real if I did that, and I don't want that to happen." Drew replies.

"Good." Kyan says. "But if you try to pull something, we're both out."

"Out? You're out?" Drew scoffs. "What are you, 5? This is life, you can't always get what you want." He says.

"Drew, you're not helping this situation in any way." Occi interrupts. "We don't want them to distrust us, and criticism will only do that."

"You always side with them, don't you?" Drew shouts. "Never me, and I've been practically your son since I was an infant! I can't believe you." He storms off into the mass of trees.

"Shouldn't we do something?" I ask. "Is he... leaving?"

"He just needs to blow off steam." Occi sighs. "He'll be back."

An hour passes and he still isn't back. I brush my tangled hair with my fingers and pull countless leaves out. Two hours pass and he's still gone. We set up camp when the sun begins to set, and I use the stream to wash my face and arms from the dirt that cover them. Kyan sits down next to me. He splashes the cold water over his sunburned face, but my eyes stay on my fuzzy reflection in the running water in front of me.