Chapter 5

I have no words for the wonder of this place. Everything has a different aura to it compared to back in my old home. I don't have to worry about my every move here. I can just live and live freely.

"Drew," Occi reaches over to him and places her hand on the boy's head. "Would you give our newcomers a tour of this place while I'm in my meeting?" She asks him.

He nods and waves for us to follow him. We walk down a series of winding halls that feel like a maze. Kyan stumbles over his feet for a moment, his legs wobbling. Without a moment's thought I grab his arm and sling it over my shoulder to help keep him upright. I wait for him to pull it away or yell at me, but he doesn't. He mouths the words "thank you" without giving me the slightest glance, and we continue following Drew.

We walk in silence for the most part, except for the occasional random room name from Drew. He doesn't give us much explanation for any of them though. He simply points to a door and shouts out the name like "Pool" or "Arcade" or "Theater", which are practically gibberish to me.

"What is this place?" I ask him. "There's no way Outsiders could have made it with no supplies."

"Occi told me it was an old war shelter the Opulent made a century or so ago in case things went sour up in the city. They apparently made this place to hold the 500 most "important" people, and it was made to sustain those 500 for a really long time." He explains. "When Occi and I found the place, it was riddled with maniacs who refused to listen to anybody, but she eventually did some convincing and got this place to be safer."

"No more crazies?" I ask. "So, there are rules here?"

"I mean we ain't the Aequa. Most things are forgiven without a second thought. Just don't go around killing people for fun, that's all." He laughs. "Unless that's too strict for ya. Then be my guest, it's more of a suggestion."

"Ah, gotcha."

"But we've got everything here. Indoor gardens where we grow our produce, a mini farm with some animals we use for eating, heck, we even have radio service to hear news from The Opulent."

"And it's all... free?" Kyan pipes in, his voice small and crackly, like a dwindling fire in a fireplace.

"I mean no one here paid for all this stuff, so why would we ask others too? We ask for the Opulent and adults who get exiled to use their skills from their professions to help us out, but kids like you? Nah." Drew answers.

We come up to a long hallway of doors with what I would imagine are the bedrooms. Drew stops abruptly at one with the number 316 on it. He turns to me and places his hands in his pockets. "Nox, this will be your room." He tells me, placing a small piece of paper in my hands. "This is a map of the building in case you get lost." He pulls out a small key and unlocks the door. "Go ahead."

I let go of Kyan and he slumps against the wall. I walk inside and my mouth gapes open. In the center lies a huge bed with fluffy white pillows and a grey comforter so soft I don't even have to touch it to know how soft it is. To the left is a white-tiled bathroom with a huge shower-bath. I run to the right side to find a closet pre-filled with women's clothes.

"All this is for me?" I ask.

Drew nods and hands me the key. "I'll let you get clean and changed." He and Kyan leave the room and lock the door. Everything is almost too perfect to touch. I take a shower to get all the dirt off of me and get dressed in a burgundy tank top and dark jeans. I feel so much power in choosing my own clothes, it feels almost ridiculous.

I lie down on the bed almost fall asleep immediately. I snap myself awake. It's all too good to be true. My fists tighten at the thought that Kyan believed our government knew how to run things in a way that is best for the people. This room alone shows me how wrong they are.