Rumlow's attack

In the hospital, you were looking through a glass as the doctors were operating on Fury. Natasha runs into the room where you, Steve and Hill were in, desperately hoping he would be okay.

"Is he gonna make it?" Nat asked, voice shaking.

"I don't know." Steve answered, dully.

"Tell me about the shooter." Nat turned to Steve.

"Ask Y/N." Steve informed Nat in a stern and angry tone. You breathed out heavily, turning to Nat.

"Um, he's fast and strong. Had a metal arm." You described the man as best as you could, but you couldn't stop looking at Steve. He was upset that you went out there alone, rouge.

"Ballistics?" Nat turned to Hill.

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable." Hill answered, still looking at Fury through the glass.

"Soviet-made." Nat realized.

You watch in shock as Fury's state deteriorates.

"He's in V-tach."

"Crash cart coming in."

"Nurse, help me with the drape."

"BP is dropping."

"Defibrillator!"

You, Steve, Natasha and Hill watch in shock as Fury is flatlining.

"I want you to charge him at one hundred."

"Stand back! Three, two, one. Clear!"

"Fury is given a shock with the defibrillator."

"Pulse?"

"No pulse."

"No pulse."

"Okay. 200, please. Stand back! Three, two, one. Clear!"

You flinch at every shock.

Fury is given another shock.

"Give me epinephrine! Pulse?"

"Negative."

You four watch the doctors as they continue to revive Fury but Fury is still showing as flatlining. You turn away as they finally call his time of death.

"What's the time?"

"1:03, Doctor."

"Time of death, 1:03 a.m."

You gasped innocently as you witness Steve looking down at the flash drive Fury had given him.

You suddenly leave the room, whole body shaking. You felt Nat's arm grab you to turn you towards her.

"Hey, what happened out there?" Nat questioned you in a innocent way.

"I could've stopped him. I froze." You admitted, shaking your head.

"No, you cannot blame yourself for this, Y/N. Like you said, he was strong and fast." Nat reminded you.

"Oh yeah? I bet you could've caught him in a heart beat. Why am I even considered a hero?" Your voice trembled.

"Hey." She pulled you in tightly.

You bury your face in Nat's shoulders. You hear receding footsteps come your way. Steve glanced at you in a disappointed way.

Nat pulls you away gently, "Why was Fury in your apartment?" She questioned Steve.

"I don't know." Steve lied right to her face. Luckily, Nat didn't turn to you and asked you the same thing.