extra help

"You really believe he'll help us? I mean, everyone in the world wants us dead." You stopped Steve for a moment as he was determined to knock on a door.

"Yes, I do. Nat found someone she can lay low with but we're still out in the open." Steve hops up the stairs and knocks on the door twice.

You went up the stairs and stood behind Steve as you heard a familiar voice answer, "Hey, man."

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low." Steve revealed you to Sam.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us." You laughed nervously.

Sam pauses a moment before replying.

"Not everyone." Sam steps aside and you and Steve look at each other in relief.

You set down your things and sighed out, tirelessly.

"Go ahead and get cleaned up. I'll have breakfast in an hour." Sam nods to you and Steve.

You walked into a bedroom and laid your things out, but not everything. You didn't want to get too comfortable.

You went into the bathroom and stared at yourself in the mirror. You pulled out your hair tie and waved your brown, long hair.

You stepped into the shower and let the coldness hit the back of your neck. You had to admit, this was the best you felt ever since this mission.

Only taking about ten minutes, you dried up and got dressed and as you opened the door, you revealed a shirtless Steve standing inches away from you.

Without saying a word, you rushed over to the bed and sat yourself down.

You notice Steve looking at you.

"You okay?" Steve questioned as he slid his shirt on.

"Yeah." You shrugged it off.

Knowing Steve, he would not let this go. "What's going on?"

"Um-" You hesitated for a moment. "Just thinking." You lied.

"About?" Steve stares at you, really wanting to know.

"I just need to get my shit together, that's all." You laughed nervously.

"Y/N-" Steve shakes his head but you interrupted him.

"Steve, look. I know I'm not the best hero nor I'm not the one people run to whenever there is a problem or they need saving. I get that. I mean, look at me. I'm 24 years old, barely weighing one fifty. I just-" You sighed out. "You've saved my life so many times. I owe you so much."

Steve waits patiently for you to finish your rant.

"Answer me this and don't lie." You point to Steve and glare.

"I'm always honest." Steve answered.

"If it was the other way around, and it was down to me to save your life, and you be honest with me, would you trust me to do it?" You questioned Steve, eyes staring right into his.

He doesn't hesitate. "I would. In a heartbeat."

"Really?" You sat back on the wall.

"Y/N, you need to stop proving to yourself that you're a good hero. Sure, everyone does it but you keep beating yourself up that you're not living up to this fake expectation that you've set for yourself." Steve told you in an honest opinion.

"I just wish that I could pay you back by all you've had done for me." You told Steve, putting your hands through your hair in a stressful manner.

"You just being alive and us talking right now is the best reward I could ask for, Y/N." Steve smiled faintly.

You glanced up, trying your hardest not to tear up.

Suddenly, Sam comes around the corner, "I made breakfast. If you guys...eat that sort of thing."

Sam walked out awkwardly. You snickered.

"I know you're hungry." Steve stands and you do as well. Steve opened up his arm for you to lead you into the kitchen along with m a side hug.

At breakfast, you, Steve and Sam began to talk about what had happened back at the underground explosion.

"So, the question is: who in SHIELD could launch a domestic missile strike?" You asked Sam and Steve as you sip your coffee.

"Pierce." Steve realized.

"Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world." You rolled your eyes.

"But he's not working alone, Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star." Steve added.

"So was Jasper Sitwell." You remind.

"So, the real question is: how do the two most wanted people in Washington kidnap a SHIELD officer in broad daylight?" Steve asked in rhetorical question.

"The answer is: you don't." Sam drops a file in front of Steve.

"What's this?" Steve asked curiously.

"Call it a resume." You pick up a photo of Sam with his para-rescue team.

"Is this Bakhmala? The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you." You realized. "You didn't say he was a para-rescue." You look at the photo of Sam with his colleague. I heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPGs. What did you use, a stealth chute?"

"No. These." He hands you the file. You open it and read it.

"I thought you said he was a pilot." You turned to Steve.

"I never said pilot." Sam laughed slightly.

"I can't ask you to do this, Sam. You got out for a good reason." Steve slides the folder away from him.

"Dude, Captain America and Y/N need my help. There's no better reason to get back in." Sam was not taking a no for answer and he let you two know by his tone.

"Where can we get our hands on one of these things?" Steve gave up quickly and asked Sam.

"The last one is at Fort Meade, behind three guarded gates and a twelve-inch steel wall." Steve looks at you and you shrugs your shoulders.

"Shouldn't be a problem."

Steve throw down the file on the table and you see that it's a classified military project called Falcon.

You glanced up and nodded in satisfaction.