Chapter 1 - You Are Insane

serənˈdipitē/ (noun): 

The occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way

“Alright girls, that’s enough for today. I’ll see you Monday after school. Have a nice weekend.” Coach Petersburg says, dismissing us from this treacherous track practice. The girls and I all disperse, heading over to the bleaches where all of our bags are arbitrarily waiting. 

I push open the little gate, walking up to the second bleacher bench where my black Nike track bag is. I pick it up, my whole body aching in protest. I sling it over my shoulder and walk back down, heading towards the parking lot.

The mildly cool March air chills me, making goosebumps form on my arms. I pull my phone from inside of my track bag, and unlock it. I look at the time, and see that it’s now 6:42 p.m. I go to my contacts, and just as I’m about to call one of my friends to come get me, I hear a honk.

I look up and I’m glad to see Walker’s car advancing towards me. It stops right beside me and I pull the door open, jumping in and tossing my bag into the backseat carelessly. Walker Davis is one of my five best friends. All of which are male. I mean, I do have friends that are girls, but I hardly ever talk to them. Girls are awful and horrible and mean. I just hang out with the guys for that reason.

“How was track practice?” Walker wonders, looking over at me as he shifts the gear back into drive and pulls out of the school lot.

“Horrible. Remind me again why I decided to go out for track this year?”

Walker laughs a hearty laugh, “I have no idea Syd.” He and our other four best friends all call me Syd rather than by my full name, which is Sydney.  “Where are you going, home?”

I nod, “Yeah, I’m tired.”

Walker nods, understandingly and drives at an accelerated speed down street, heading towards my house. About ten or fifteen minutes later, we arrive outside of it and Walker puts the car in park.

“Thanks Walk.” I say gratefully, pulling my bag from the backseat.

“No problem Syd, oh are you coming to Jake Rosenthal’s party tomorrow night?”

“Of course I am. I wouldn’t miss Jake Rosenthal’s party for the world.”

Jake Rosenthal is one of the most popular boys at our high school, and everyone knows he has the best parties ever. His dad - who apparently felt bad for running out on Jake’s mom when she was pregnant with him - lets Jake come up to his lake house a few times a year and throw a huge party. I’ve had the privilege of going to four of them, and I personally think that each one is better than the previous.

“Alright, cool.”

“Bye Walker.” I say, getting out of his and closing the door behind me. I walk up to the front door of my house, and pull my key ring from inside my bag. I unlock the door and walk in, earning a honk from Walker as he drives off. I wave at him and then go into my house, closing the door behind me. I lock it and then head upstairs, glad that seemingly no one else is home. I love being home alone. When the others are here, it’s just too hectic for my liking. By ‘the others’ I mean my mom, my older sister and my younger brother.

I trudge up the stairs to my bedroom and when I get there, I fall back onto my bed, happy to finally be home. I’m not sweating anymore as opposed to how much sweat I produced at track practice. Honestly, I don’t know why the hell I decided that I wanted to do track this year. I think it had something to do with the fact that all of the guys kept saying I was too lazy for my own good. Stupid boys.