Chapter 29 - The Cupcake Phase

“Can you two get out of the Cupcake Phase? Your mushiness makes me wanna puke.” Walker complains.

“The Cupcake Phase?” Bradley echoes, furrowing his brow.

“It’s when two people who’re together are all mushy around each other and they’re always like, ‘you hang up first’, ‘no, you hang up first’, ‘no, you!’ and to them it’s just the cutest thing in the world but to everyone else it’s the most disgusting thing ever.” Drew explains.

Bradley, Mikey, Drew, Tanner, Walker and I have all just gotten back to the cabin from Vail. We spent our last morning here in Colorado up at the top of the mountain. Bradley and I went tree skiing, which was probably the absolute scariest thing I’ve ever done in my life. I mean, we weren’t on a trail or anything because that’s what tree skiing is. There were trees everywhere and more than once I almost smashed into one. I didn’t though, of course.

Drew insisted that we take another person- not him, he made that clear- with us. His reasoning? “What it you get hurt or something? Then he can’t go for help because he’ll have to leave you alone. You gotta take someone else.” We didn’t take anyone else though. That was a good thing though, because we spent about 95% of the time up there in the forest making out.

“Shouldn’t couples always be in this so called Cupcake Phase?” I wonder.

“No,” Drew deadpans.

“Shut up, Drew.” I say, rolling my eyes at him, irritably.

“I’m ju--“

“Well, don’t.” I retort, cutting him off before he finishes his stupid sentence.

I know I shouldn’t be mad at Drew, but I am. I mean, he’s put me in a really, really difficult decision. I can’t kiss Bradley in front of him now without feeling like I’m hurting or something. I can’t do anything with Bradley without the fact that Drew likes me floating in the back of my mind. The saddest part of it all though is that Drew isn’t cocky or anything about how much he likes me. He’s not like, trying to steal me from Bradley or anything and if we do anything in front of him - whether it be a kiss on the cheek, a real kiss, holding hands or even just talking ‘coupley’ - he subtly makes some excuse to leave the room or something.

So, the reason I’m mad at him is because he can so easily hide it and the fact that we’re together doesn’t seem to distraught him all that much. If that’s the case, he didn’t even have to tell me. The six of us could have gone on living our lives, Bradley and me dating and Drew just being my friend who doesn’t like or ‘may even love’ me.

Stupid Drew.

Mikey gawkily clears his throat, trying to ease the tension in the room, “So, what time are we leaving tomorrow?”

“We should leave at, like, five. That’s reasonable.” Tanner suggests.

“It takes nineteen hours to drive back to Michigan though; we wouldn’t get back until Monday.”

“Exactly. I don’t see a problem with that arrangement.” He retorts.

“We have to go to school,” Bradley reminds him. “And Sydney and I apparently have a dinner to attend.”

“See? Now this would fall underneath the Cupcake Phase.” Walker tells me, watching some football game.

“Well, we’re being forced into it, so I disagree.” I chirp.

“Forced?” Drew asks, eyebrows raised.

“Sydney’s dad wants to ‘meet me’.”  

“What do you mean? He already knows you, well, all of us.” Mikey says.