TWO

TWO

Against every instinct in her, Evelyn rummages through her kitchen cupboards, making sure to keep her gaze set on the other three men in her house. The glass was promptly cleaned up when they got back, and now she's just busying herself till the point when they leave, or when they explain what's going on to her.

"Wait, hold on, let me get this straight," Sam speaks up, cutting straight through Bucky as he moves his fingers away from his face. He'd been leaning against his fist as Bucky struggled to explain who the woman in the kitchen was, but finally, the moment he mentions 'HYDRA' he realises exactly what he means. "You brought me to see another Super Soldier? And a Winter Soldier at that? Yeah, like that worked out so well last time."

A humourless snort escapes Evelyn as she closes the cupboard, going over to the adjoining sitting room and leaning against a corner table. She promptly opens the alcohol bottle in her hand, never once taking her judgemental gaze away from Bucky. He shifts uncomfortably. "You brought them to Isaiah? Assuming that went well, huh."

"I'm sorry, who is Isaiah?" Zemo questions from where he's sitting on one of the chairs, seeming completely relaxed for someone who broke out of prison.

"None of your business."

"Super Soldier. Government-operated." Both Sam and Evelyn speak at the same time, and Zemo scoffs quietly as she turns to the Avenger, clearly not amused. "Listen, mate. Don't hate on him. He's the only one I actually like out of the three of you, apart from the fact he hates Super Soldiers and came to kill me."

The mention makes Bucky glance towards her once more, whereas he was doing everything to avoid her gaze since they got inside. "You remember that?" he asks, unable to hide the tone of surprise in his voice.

She laughs dryly, taking a swig before saying, "Booze, anyone?"

At the lack of response, she rolls her eyes. "Do I remember waking up from a long ass nap to find out someone was trying to kill all the Super Soldiers HYDRA had? It was an interesting fight you had with Iron Man and Captain America, Barnes. Congrats on that, Zemo. Wish..." For a moment she pauses, sucking her top lip in, then a smirk plasters itself to her face. "Wish I had some popcorn while I was watching it all go down–"

"Okay, stop, Grace," Bucky cuts in, pushing off from the wall, taking a few steps towards her. "It's not the time to dwell on all that. We have an actual problem."

"Something tells me you're not referring to when you broke into my apartment. I want the key back."

"There are more Super Soldiers."

The bottle stops halfway towards Evelyn's lips the moment Bucky says it, and he can see the curiosity in her expression as she pauses, then just lowers the bottle once more. He knows he has her attention, so he continues. "Call themselves 'the Flag Smashers'. They're run by a kid, a girl." Her lips tighten slightly at the mention, an undistinguishable flicker in her eyes that Bucky catches. "They think life was better during the Blip."