FIFTEEN

FIFTEEN

The moment Bucky's eyes flicker open, the first thing he notices is the sound of whooshing and grunting. He stiffens up, ready for a fight, only to realise after slow seconds that it's not the sounds of a fistfight, but the sounds of little boys playing.

He tilts his head, turning to see AJ and Cass playing with the shield, the former pretending to brandish the weapon and the latter slowly aiming play-punches at the shield, the two attempting to reenact an epic battle scene.

At the sight, Bucky nearly forgets that they're not supposed to be playing with that, and it's a moment before he finds his voice. "Hey." Giving a half-hearted, two-fingered wave, the boys immediately hiss at each other, hurriedly slipping it back into its case before darting off before they can get in trouble.

A smile flickers onto his lips at that, unable to hold it back.

He and Steve used to do that. Play games, pretending they were soldiers. They wanted all the medals his mom made for them out of paperclips and fabric, knowing it was the insignia of heroes. They wanted nothing more than to be heroes.

Till the Second War came.

The war? It doesn't end for people like Sam, he realises then. Bucky had to put on an outfit and pick up a gun, but Sam's still fighting. Half the world's still fighting for their rights, for their humanity, and America is just as unforgiving as other countries.

It doesn't make sense for Sam to put on the same outfit and expect to be seen the same way. It doesn't make sense for him to play Captain America in a world where America couldn't care less about him.

And finally, he realises why Sam gave up the shield.

Knowing he'll have to address it later with him, he glances up at the ceiling, only to realise that the hard floor isn't what's beneath him. Frowning, he glances under him, only to close his eyes and let out a soft laugh. He's on the couch, with extra pillows under his head, and there's only one person this nefarious deed could've been the work of. No wonder she was so casual with letting him sleep on the ground at first.

It's only when he glances at the camp bed on the ground that he realises it's gone, the blankets folded and piled up on a nearby chair, with no other signs of Evelyn having been there at all.

Evelyn.

Immediately his eyes go wide, all traces of exhaustion disappearing as he jumps to his feet, rushing outside without even bothering to put his shoes on, looking in both directions from the doorway. How long ago did she leave? Maybe if he runs, he can catch up to her pretty soon before she can get too far–

"Looking for someone, Barnes?"

At the sound of the voice, he can't help but sag slightly in relief before turning towards it, gaze travelling over to the boat, only to catch sight of the rising sun glinting on the fresh new coat of paint. Evelyn smiles a little, giving a wave, and even from the distance he can see her raise an eyebrow. "Thought I'd run? Nice to see the faith you have in me, partner."