EIGHTEEN

EIGHTEEN

The echo resounds in her head, all the pain of a thousand knives stabbing into her chest, because she knows who the scream belonged to.

Bucky.

Kicking the Flag Smasher in front of her with a force she didn't even know she had, she can't help but yell, "Barnes, are you okay?!"

"It would be great if I could have a little help!" he yells back, breaths clearly laboured, probably fighting someone. Her gaze flickers about wildly, searching for the source, only to realise that there's a hole of construction work just a few meters away from them. He must've fallen.

"I'm coming–"

Cut off, a fleeting pain rushes into her side as she goes flying, whacking straight into a fence. A low groan escapes her lips as she feels the prickling all over her body, but her vision lines up just as she catches sight of Karli rushing to her with a parking meter, swinging it with a ferocious yell.

Evelyn swings her legs up in time, kicking the meter as it bounces back and hits the girl in the face, catching her off-guard. She quickly takes the chance, jumping to her feet before grabbing the girl's wrist, twisting it enough to make her let go of the weapon before pulling the girl into a restrictive headlock. "Karli, don't make this worse for yourself," she warns lowly at the girl's struggle. "It doesn't have to be a fight, we can talk it out properly–"

Her legs are kicked out under her and a sharp breath escapes her lungs before Karli's got her in the same position. "Is that what you did when you sided with the people that killed your daughter?"

It's easy to reach up, summoning all the strength she has before swinging an unsuspecting Karli over her head, the girl's back harshly hitting the ground. "They didn't kill my daughter. But right now, you're the one acting like the people who did."

Karli narrows her eyes dangerously, securing her grip on Evelyn's wrists. "How bold of you to say I'm acting like you."

She falters, breath catching as it all hits her hard, and it's all Karli needs to kick up and punch her right in the chest.

The woman goes flying, a scream escaping her lips as air rushes around her, the thoughts running rampant in her mind and hitting against the walls with frustration and hate and anger, because Karli's right. She killed her daughter. She killed so many others. Her ledger will never be clean of all that red.

Suddenly she lands on something softer than the ground, eyes flying open in surprise. "I got you!"

She recognises Bucky's voice instantly, relief filling her chest, but at the sight of the Flag Smasher running towards them she instantly kicks her legs out and wraps them around his neck, swinging him before pinning him to the ground, sharing a momentary look with her partner, both of them grateful.