SEVENTEEN

SEVENTEEN

"I'm almost there."

"Good," Bucky mumbles back to Sam through his comm. "Now we need to figure out how to get Lyn through. The government are after her, so anyone sees her, they'll restrain her."

"I can always attac–"

"We're not supposed to do anything illegal," he cuts in, rolling his eyes.

Over the comm, he hears her pretend to yawn. "Boring. I'll figure it out. Sam, what's the plan?"

"Karli's gotta be close," Sam tells them solemnly as he flies overhead, Bucky weaving his way through the NYPD teams posted all around the GRC meeting. Lights flicker all around him, throwing him back into memories of bright lights in his eyes and a needle in his skin, but he just grits his teeth. Not the time. "Keep your eyes open."

"Well, it could be anybody," he replies, passing a group of police that nod respectfully at him, calling him sergeant. It feels so weird being called that after so long. White Wolf. Winter Soldier. Terrorist. Avenger. It's just another in a long list for his long life.

"Yeah, you never know who's sneaking behind you."

At the familiar voice, he just turns knowingly, catching sight of Evelyn walking beside him with a smug smile on her lips. Back to wearing her jeans and shirt, she managed to steal one of Bucky's spare leather jackets to protect her from the cold of spring Manhattan, red hair tied up in a bun to avoid attraction.

"Look at that. You're matching," comes Sam's amused voice over the comm, Bucky barking out a sarcastic laugh. "How'd you get through the authorities?"

"I'm a Winter Soldier, Sam," she scoffs lightly, rolling her eyes dramatically. "You think a few police officers are going to catch me? Yeah, right. Anyway, should probably let you know before you find out yourself and get mad at me or whatever... but I called in some backup."

Bucky's eyebrows furrow, puzzled. Evelyn has basically no contacts, so how is it possible she called someone in? Unless she broke Zemo out of prison. His heart sinks at the mention, knowing it's definitely something she could do, although when she would have had the time he has no clue.

"Excuse me, sir," a voice behind them calls, and they turn before Bucky purses his lips, realising Lyn shouldn't have turned around, too, her face on show. "Are you supposed to be here?"

However, he's caught off-guard when Evelyn rolls her eyes at the police officer, scoffing, "Honestly, it's in a blonde's blood to act all dramatic. Get over yourself, Carter."

Chuckling, the man presses something at her temple before the skin becomes pixelated, some sort of mask being pulled off along with the beanie, revealing a mop of blonde hair. "Yeah, you're one to talk, carrot-top," the police officer-turned rebel casually replies, the two sharing a knowing look.