TWELVE

TWELVE

"The GRC is conducting raids to try and find Karli. But so far, they've only found her followers. They've searched this camp, and just like the last camp, nothing. She's gone. We'll never find her."

Sam's voice is solemn, definitive, angry. It's full of hopelessness, and he slowly turns back to the table in front of him, where his wings are in a bag from when they were ripped off with John's bare hands.

Bucky's leaning against a table on the opposite side of the room, arms crossed, stony silence from him. Evelyn's noticed that he's not said a word since they got back, but then again, neither has she. The name just keeps ringing in her ears as she turns her hand into a fist, pain radiating in her cut knuckles.

Adelina. Adelina. Adelina.

Sam explained everything to her.

He explained that they fought John, who refused to give up the shield. He explained that they handed him to the authorities, that he's gone insane after Lemar's death. He explained that the government are taking jurisdiction, so there's no purpose of them anymore.

For Evelyn, that only means one thing.

"I'm a fugitive," she mutters, voice barely audible. It's only because of the sickening silence between the three that they hear her. For the first time since they got there, Bucky's gaze moves away from the spot on the ground he was staring at, softening as it falls on her. Her expression, however, is hard. "Can't stay here."

Without another warning, she turns to go, heading towards the door. His heart skips. "Lyn," he calls out, but she doesn't stop. She doesn't even falter, and it's barely a few seconds till she's gone, out of sight, for who knows how long. 

She didn't even bother saying goodbye.

*

It's only a few hours to get to Sokovia, Latvia being just on its border, neither country too big. Besides, the base they were at was near the edge, and it just made sense that it would be her next point of contact. After all, as Evelyn nears the large expansion of ground, the beautiful lake glistening in the sunlight, the statue with busts of a family on it and a crowned bird, she spots Zemo standing directly in front of the latter.

It's hard not to miss him. After all, it's a beautiful day, and his black clothing doesn't exactly fit in anywhere around. She catches sight of the plane on the nearby hill, Zemo's plane, but it's easy to guess that Oeznik's not there. Zemo wouldn't put him in such danger, and just the idea of him being here alone gives a sense of finality, of peace.

The sound of her boots clacking against the concrete is audible, and Zemo shows no indication to having heard it, staying silent as she comes to a stop beside him, about half a metre between them. They're both in front of the statue, then, just staring.