ELEVEN

ELEVEN

"She said what? Right. Hold on, hold on. I know, I know. Listen, pack an overnight bag and take the boys."

The impatience seems to be getting to Bucky, to the point he's turned towards Sam before the latter's even lowered his phone. After all, all he and Evelyn know is that he suddenly started walking hurriedly down the streets of Latvia with no answers and far too many questions. "What happened?"

Sam's breaths are fast, heavy. "Karli called Sarah. She threatened my nephews." It's only a moment before he pulls the phone back to his ear. "Okay. Go somewhere safe. Only pay cash. All right? Let me know when you get there. ...I know. Look, I love you. I'll never let anything happen to you and the boys, you know that. Okay. Bye."

They stop walking then, the aura too dark and heavy over them, like drapes threatening to drag them down. "Karli wants to meet," Sam tells them lowly. "She left a contact number." No sooner than he says it does his phone chime, and he glances at it before hesitating. "She said come alone."

"I'm coming with you."

Bucky's reply is instantaneous, turning to look at Sam. If the circumstances were different, perhaps Sam might have smiled in response. Instead both of their gazes flicker to Evelyn as she just stands there, glancing between them, only to pretend to groan. "Guess that means I'm coming too, huh?"

"You don't have to," Sam tells her seriously.

It seems she's anything but serious, rolling her eyes at his clear miss of her joking attitude, instead giving a smirk. "You're gonna get your asses in trouble without me. Besides, the other option is sticking with John Walker–" she presses a hand against her chest in pain, "–and you guys wouldn't do that to me. You love me too much."

When they head back to the house a few minutes later, they're quick in changing – "It's so unfair that you guys have suits. Like, Barnes is all up in sexy black leather and you've got a Falcon suit. If I'm going to be an Avenger like you guys, I'm expecting a suit. It's hard getting blood stains out of jeans." – before heading to North Plaza.

Immediately Sam harshly yells, "Karli!" His gaze whips around as he walks into the courtyard, only to see the girl on the rooftop above it, smirking as she looks down at the others. Sam heads to the staircase to go up, Bucky and Evelyn exchanging wary looks before facing forward again. The last few days have been tough, but they just need to put it aside and focus.

Sam's voice is harsh as they meet Karli on the same level. "You called my sister? That's how we're gonna play this?"

"Sam, I would never hurt her," she replies simply, carelessly. "I just wanted to understand you better." Her eyes fall on Evelyn and Bucky flanking him, hesitating for a moment before commenting, "I see you, um, didn't come alone."