~21~

Simone.

"We're here?"Rene shrieked excitedly and I couldn't help but smile at her. She was such a sweet little girl and I felt guilty for having used her. The guilt tugged at my heart.

"No need to scream in my ears"Tayo said uninterested.. Despite his hard front and all,one could see that Tayo loved his sister.

"You are such a fun killer."Rene said as she sprang out of the car, her walking placed in front of her. "I'll see you both inside. It's time to parttttty!!" She started walking gingerly towards the school but stopped and turned to the direction of the car"Um..Ameni? You wanna come with?"

Ameni had a look of surprise but she quickly had her mask of indifference back on again and she shrugged as she opened the door and followed Rene without uttering a single word, guiding her even though I heard Renee saying she didn't need help. They both disappeared into the school.

Leaving me alone with Tayo.

Sweet cheesecakes.

Do I speak or wait for him to break the ice first?

Maybe I should just talk first.

"Um..T-tayo..."I stuttered miserably "Thank you for agreeing to come with me. It means a lot"

He closed his eyes as he leaned into his seat"Don't mention it. But I don't understand why you don't want to go with your "friends" tho? Y'all break up?"

I swallowed the bile that was riding in my throat and said"No.. I just wanted to go with you."

He made a hmm sound and stayed silent for a while before saying"I don't mean to pry but I'm very curious... Who is the elf?"

My brows furrowed in confusion as I tried to interpret his question but to no avail. What did he mean by elf?

And then,as if a truck hit me..I remembered Ameni's words in a flash. The words she had spoken earlier this night.

Remind me to murder that girl later.

"Um..."I tried to formulate words"She was referring to Nonso."

"Nonso?"his brow quirked up"Your boyfriend." His voice was unusually high pitched but maybe it was just the cold

"No..my ex boyfriend. We broke up."

I could have sworn I heard a sigh of relief from him. Or maybe it was just the wind. I couldn't be too sure.

The silence came again. This time twice as uncomfortable. What were we still doing in the car anyways? We were supposed to be in the party... partying!

"You don't wanna go inside?"I asked softly.

He glanced at me and looked away almost immediately"I will.. I'm trying to catch the few minutes of sanity I have left.. As you might have noticed..I don't like people.."

"Oh." Disappointment washed through me. And here I was, thinking that I was getting somewhere with him.

He seemed to have heard the obvious discomfort because he said"But you're not part of them. I think. You're tolerable."