~13~

Harmony.

The plates looked like a fountain. It looked as if it hadn't been washed in months. As if I had not just washed it yesterday.
On a Monday morning when I was supposed to be preparing for school I was trapped inside. Washing plates.
School was not rosy but it was nothing like this hell. By the rate I was going I would be extremely late to class and I would most likely be punished. But that was the least of my problems. I had a huge problem.

My period.

It was late this month and what my mother could say was that"You are pregnant."

She had said it with so much conviction that even I had feared that I was indeed pregnant before I threw the thoughts away. My mother had beaten me black and blue yesterday as she told me to confess but I told her that there was nothing to confess and she beat me the more because I was using my English to mock her.

My stiff muscles and bruises over my arms was proof of how brutal yesterday night had been. Father just stood there watching without any ounce of emotion on his face and the thought of it made my heart ache.

The only thing that kept me moving was the memories of my parents and Chidubem,my lovely stepbrother. He really didn't know what his parents were capable of because he only carried positive vibes around the house. His chubby smiling face always gave me joy.

I looked over to where he was sitting down on the dining table,dressed smartly in his light blue uniform that highlighted his fair skin. He was eating his breakfast carefully so as to not spill orange juice and get bread crumbs on his clothes.
My stomach grumbled loudly as I watched him eat and he heard it and I placed my hand down in embarrassment.

"Sister Harmony,"He began with an amused tone"Are you hungry?"
It amazed me how he could be so blunt at most times. I shook my head in the negative and he made a 'humph' sound as if to say that he knew that I was lying.
I was hungry...I had not eaten since Saturday and I was weak as...as one could get.

"If you starve yourself,"said Chidubem"you'll get ulcer and you'll die."
I stared at him in shock and burst into a very throaty laughter. It felt good to laugh and we both laughed and we didn't stop. Until..

"Who are all those laughing in my kitchen?"I heard mother's manly voice and I froze.

What the hell had I gotten myself into?

"Harmony?"She shouted again"Where are you?"

My voice shook with fear as I answered "Mummy I am here,ma."

I could hear her resounding footsteps on the aging wooden stairs. The creak each steps made and I became more scared with each passing moments,so scared that I thought that I would faint.

At last she made it to the kitchen. I could tell that she just awakened because her eyes was still drowsy. Her eyes scanned the kitchen and widened momentarily when she beheld the scene before her and I braced myself for what was coming.

"What are you doing with my son,you witch?!"She exploded and slapped me with the back of her hand. I fell against the sink but she didn't stop. Instead she grabbed me and flung me across the room.

I swear that woman has energy,I thought.
"I told you to stay away from my son you useless girl. Oya,Chidubem go outside and wait for your school bus."