VIBGYOR

Happy reading!!

It was Monday morning. Bright was still sleeping on their desk and Win couldn't wake him up knowing that they had talked on phone till late night. A smile crept on his face. They were becoming closer with each passing day. For others, they seemed to be bickering and flirting all the time but in their hearts, they both knew they were building very deep affinity with each other. Bright was amazing friend. Probably the best friend Win ever had. No, he certainly was the best. Being with Bright was like sleeping naked in a cashmere. So comfortable and warm. Win wondered if he could ever gather the courage to tell Bright about this very sensual simile. It's not like he was afraid of rejection for he knew, or may be at least felt in his bones that Bright too, felt the same if not more. Yes, Win had never experienced this adrenaline rush before and yes he was new to all this flirting but he could try. He could try for Bright. He could, for once forget about the tough image others had of him and he could show Bright how soft he made him feel. He could break the walls for Bright. Well, in a way, he was already doing it. And so far, it had been wonderful and dare he say, exciting. But what after he would have to leave again? Would he still matter to Bright once he leaves the city? He could not imagine the pain it would bring to him? The realisation that he had put his ego aside and  pushed his limits so much only to find out that it had been a waste.

Bright twitched a little in his sleep and he faced Win.

Win smiled. Bright in sleep was Win's favourite view from now. May be he could try. He remembered Bright told him his favourite line from his favourite movie.
He said, "To feel nothing so as not to feel anything, what a waste!"

May be Bright wanted it too. But he was hesitating too. Whatever it was, for now Win was enjoying this new sensation Bright would cause under his skin.

"Is it lunch break yet? Bright mumbled.

"No silly, it's a free period." Win said pinching Bright's cheeks.

"Aww..." A group of students said in unison, Mike being the leader of the voices.

Win rolled his eyes and Bright blushed like a little girl.

"You guys are dramatic." Win said sitting beside Mike as Bright pouted and sat amongst his friends. They were the last benchers except Win and Pam were actually studious.

"That reminds me", said Pam addressing the whole class,  "we are having VIBGYOR in the next month."

The students listened but nobody responded, let alone be excited about the annual fest that going to be held.

"What is that?" Win asked.

Pam said, "it's annual fest of GMM high. There will be sports, music, dance, competitions, events, food and so much more."

"However", Ohm said, "The wildflowers, being the seniormost are only allowed to participate in theatrical events, meaning those boring dramas and enactment."

"And without even a single participation, we are not allowed to attend the function."

"And without attending the function, Boss concluded, "we couldn't see the clichè sky swarm lanterns in the end which are by the way highlight of the event and according to Bright, very romantic!"

Everyone giggled. Win looked at Bright in disbelief.

"What? They are beautiful." Bright said.

"So why don't you participate?" Win asked.

Everyone looked at him and then broke into laughter.

"Win you don't get it. It's all about Shakespeare and cringe dialogues and lame acting. We haven't signed up for that."

Win didn't say anything. He liked theatre. He never joined in clubs before because he was always a shy introvert but now that he had friends, he wanted to try. He had gained a little confidence. Bright looked at him deep in thoughts but didn't say anything.

.......

"Bright?" Win said to Bright.
Bright was dropping Win home. His keys were lost and Bright didn't care how lame of an excuse it was. He enjoyed having Win in his car, next to him.

"Hmm?"

"You want to attend VIBGYOR, don't you?"

"I do", Bright said, "but the rules."

"Why don't you participate if that's the only way we get in?"

Bright looked at Win in surprise. He started laughing, "tell me you're not serious."

Win was offended.

"Well, I am."

"Win, I don't know abc of acting. And plus they make you practise for hours, memorising dialogues and bullshit."

"Yeah but is it worth it?"

"Huh?"

Win repeated, this time more specific, "is that event worth it?"

Bright took a moment to think. He loved sky lanterns ever since he was a kid. He remembered how his grandmother would take him to the riverside on his birthday every year and light a lantern, asking him to make a wish and float it in the air. It was one of the best memories of his childhood. He was just upset that he couldn't reminisce those memories again despite wanting to.

"It is." Bright simply said.

"Well, then go for it."

"Win I wouldn't even make it to audition."

"You don't know that yet Bright."

"I don't know Win", Bright said abruptly, "it demands too much efforts."

Win didn't speak again. He couldn't understand why was it bothering him so much. It was just an event right? Yeah, and he was just a friend. Would Bright give him up too, just like that? Would he say the same when they will have to part their ways, that it demands too much efforts? Win shook his head. He was overthinking again. They were not even dating. But they were friends. And friends too are supposed to be kept. Would Bright do anything to keep him? Win wasn't sure. And he wanted the assurance before he could confess.

"Win?"

"Huh?" Win said, coming back to reality.

"You okay?" Bright asked, his eyes laced with concern.

Win nodded.

"Shall we go to mine then?" Bright asked.

It took a while for Win to realise that they had reached Win's home.

He looked at Bright smilingly, "you wish."
Saying that, he got off the car.

"Spill it Win, dreaming about me won't get you anywhere."

"Shut up and get home safe."

He heard Bright giggling and starting his engine on.

Win sighed. He already missed Bright.
He took a shower and when he came back, he saw a text from Bright.

From Bright:
"I wish you never find your keys. Although I know it's love."

Then another text, "Lie*. Although I know it's a lie. ;-)."

Win smiled. This boy...

💚🤍