the secret plan

Happy reading!!

It had been days since Win indirectly confessed his feelings to Bright. Saying that he was happy would be undermining his state of being. He was beyond ecstatic. In a pure bliss. The romantic confrontation that day didn't reach to any conclusion as Win was called for practice but Bright had made his mind. And that is how he ended up in front of Mercy's seat while Win was still discussing things with Miss Godji.

"I don't understand why do I have to practice when you are going to perform anyway?"

"It's what we adults call romance. You kid won't understand." Bright said.

Mercy smiled annoyingly "don't ask this kid to help you then."

"Okay fine. Tell me what you want."

"A date with your friend Mike..."

"Not happening."

"Then forget about the favour."

"Okay fine", Bright said. For now he needed this urgently. Mike's consent could wait.

He said, "I'll arrange a date. Now please train me for the role and don't say anything to Win."

"Fine", Mercy winked, "see you after school."

......

"So you're saying you will practice with Mercy secretly while telling Win you cannot make it on that day but surprising him on the stage?"

Bright smiled. It sounded as dramatic as Bright wanted it to.

"And he will kiss me in front of everyone. You missed that part."

His friends exchanged a glance. They were having a hard time deciding who'd call for the nearest sanatorium and how will they break the news to Bright that he was losing it. It's not like he'd listen to anybody right now. He was that excited. He checked the time. He had ten minutes with Win before he would meet Mercy. He went to library as Win had told him he'd be there.

When he got there, Win was reading 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen. Win had everything Bright admired in a person but could never imbibe in himself. He was passionate about things he loved. He was ambitious and most importantly, the warmest person he had known besides his mother. He knew that if asked, Win would probably say such good things about Bright as well. He just wasn't sure what about him interested Win. He never got to know himself the way Win did. There was no way Bright would let this precious go. Win gestured him to come and Bright smiled.

"Were you missing me?" Bright asked.

"Yeah", Win said, flipping the page, "when Miss Sia was sleeping."

"But I heard Miss Sia never sleeps while on duty", Bright said pointing at the librarian.

Win shrugged, smirking at Bright.

Bright rolled his eyes, "very funny. You can do better."

"I have to see that I'm on your level."

"You are mistaking me for your seventh grade crush who asked if you were Google because apparently you were everything he was searching for."

"He was better than your ex girlfriend who thought feminism is about awareness regarding STDs."

"Are we contesting in some competition titled who had more embarrassing past because I know you will win, considering that one time you held your poop in your hands."

"I'm sure thinking Caprio had actually died in an ocean might outbest mine."

"Hey I was twelve!" Bright said defensively.

"And a boyfriend", Win sighed.

"Yeah, if you consider helping each other in exams as part of dating."

"My heart goes out for her answer sheets."

"Did you eat Chandler Bing in lunch?"

"Yeah", Win giggled, "I thought I could interest you in a sarcastic comment."

"Now, we're talking!"

"How we wish we could do more." Win said seducingly.

"I have a library kink, just so you know," Bright whispered in his low, sexy voice, "Jane Austen can only take you to Europe while I can give you a ride to heaven."

"Bright!", Win turned crimson red, his skin felt mad hot.

"Could you be guys be more shameless?"

They looked at a ten year old girl who looked what young Danial Radcliffe would like with a pony tail and curly hair. The two boys had no idea when did she come and sit at a close distance, reading a book named 'how to behave in public.' At least that's what it apeared to Bright and Win. Talk about the guilt of letting a kid hear all that.

They looked at each other and suddenly, silence seemed so essential for their survival.

"I should go." Bright muttered.

"You should have gone a long time ago." Win whispered.

"I know you don't mean it."

"I'm sure she has different take on it."

"She hasn't seen me shirtless."

"Bright!!"

"I'm going.." Bright said standing up from his chair, "hey baby girl..we were talking about how Europeans don't believe in God and heaven anymore."

Win facepalmed while the girl rolled her eyes.

"I will stay back after school." Bright said.

Win raised his forehead, demanding explanation.

"I have something to discuss with Mr. Dim."

"I can wait for you."

"No it's fine. You need to rest well. The event's around the corner." Bright said with concern.

"Umm..." Win said, "may be you could company me here then."

Bright smiled. He sat again, this time on the chair beside Win and lightly brushed his finger against Win's under the table. Win didn't pull his hand away and smiled while his eyes were fixed on the book. Bright smiled too. He leaned sideways, getting his head a support from his other hand and stared at Win.

Win was too shy to look at Bright now. He kept playing their conversation in his brain on a loop, still not believing they just had the most direct flirting till the date and yes, it thrilled Win so much. How could they be so shameless, as the girl pointed but at the same time so coy when it came to admitting their feelings. Library kink, Win made a mental note for future reference.

They were silent for the rest of the time. Win was reading and Bright kept staring at him. Win knew and he liked it. Would he say so? No. He only wished Bright could perform with him but now that he had explained he had to take his mother to some relative that day, he could only wish. The thought that Bright wouldn't be able to see him perform was only making him sad. But then, he'd think about the lantern ceremony and how he is going to seize that moment to its best. Bright would be with him then, it was all that mattered.

💚🤍