A Memory

The walk down to Ford's old lab was quiet, making it just a tad awkward. It was a bit cramped in the elevator, but soon they arrived at the designated floor.

"Oh, look what years of neglect did to my poor equipment!" Ford groaned, briefly hurrying around in an attempt to straighten things up. Dipper and the girl stayed where they were, watching him.

A few minutes later, and a few clouds of dust, Ford gestured for the girl to sit down on the stool next to him. She did so cautiously, Dipper lingering nearby.

Ford had his bag on the counter, which he opened and started taking out multiple items to put on the counter. Dipper saw him take out a tiny vial with something in it and started loading that into a syringe.

"Dipper, I need you to comfort her for a moment. I have to insert this into the neck artery."

"Uh..." Dipper hesitated, seeing Ford finish preparing the syringe and waiting for him to get started. He shifted before looking down at the girl, who was now staring at him. "Ok, uh, just keeping looking at me. You're going to feel a bit of pain for a moment, but it's fine."

Dipper continued to spew comforting nonsense words, the girl watching him as Ford brushed a bit of her hair away from her neck. She flinched at that, but Dipper got her attention again.

Ford quickly inserted the needle and pulled it out not one second later after the liquid went in.

The girl jerked up, her hand going to her neck as she stumbled back. Her mouth was open in a silent cry of pain, her head whipping between both of them to constantly keep them in her sight.

"What did you do, Uncle Ford?!" Dipper asked, nervously looking at his great uncle. Ford put up one finger to say 'hold on.' and looked back at his watch.

After ten more seconds, Ford looked back at the girl. "Can you understand me?"

The girl froze, her eyes widening. Ford stepped closer, her taking another step back.

"You don't have to speak if you don't want to. Just nod your head if you understand."

Slowly, she nodded her head.

Dipper was surprised. He watched in quiet amazement as Ford slowly got closer to the girl, his hands up like before to show he meant no harm.

"Do you remember me?"

Head shake.

"None of us are going to hurt you. Please sit back in your seat so I can make sure you're okay."

The girl shifted on her feet, searching Ford's face and stance for any trace of deception. Finding none, she slowly crept forward and sat back on the stool.

Ford smiled briefly before turning back to his bag, taking out a small medical box.

"Dipper?"

The young man jerked out of his daze and turned back to his great uncle.

"Tell me everything that happened from the moment you found her to the moment you saw us pulling up in the driveway.

Dipper started to spill the whole story while Ford have the girl a check-up. There were occasional breaks in the story, mostly so Ford could instruct the girl to breath or move her hand. Dipper watched the check up while he talked, seeing Ford tense up when he lifted the back of her shirt to feel her heart beat and his fist clenched tightly.

"And we were just having breakfast when I saw you pull up." Dipper finally finished.

Ford nodded his understanding as he finished his check up as well. His note pad was out and he started jotting down information.