Chapter 20

We heard from Hogwarts one sunny morning about a week later. I was at at the table with Mum, Dad and Ginny, when Harry and Ron wandered in. Themoment she saw Harry, Ginny accidentally knocked her porridge bowl tothe floor with a loud clatter. Ginny was very prone to knocking thingsover whenever Harry entered a room. She dived under the table to retrievethe bowl and emerged with her face glowing like the setting sun. 

Harry and Ron sat down and taking the toast Mum offered them. 

"Letters from school," said Dad, as he finished sorting through the mail and passing us identical envelopes of yellowish parchment, addressed in green ink. "Dumbledore already knows you're here, Harry — doesn't miss a trick,that man. You two've got them, too," he added, as Fred and George ambledin, still in their pyjamas.

For a few minutes there was silence as we all read our letters. The first page telling us to catch the Hogwarts Express as usual from King's Cross stationon September first. There was also a list of the new books we'd need forthe coming year. 

FOURTH-YEAR STUDENTS WILL REQUIRE: 

The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 4 by Miranda Goshawk                                                                              Break with a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart                                                                                                          Gadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart                                                                                                Holidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart                                                                                                              Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart                                                                                                                   Voyages with Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart                                                                                                      Wanderings with Werewolves by Gilderoy Lockhart                                                                                              Year with the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart  

Fred peered over at Harry's."You've been told to get all Lockhart's books, too!" he said. "The newDefence Against the Dark Arts teacher must be a fan — bet it's a witch." Fred said. At this point, Fred caught mum's eye and quickly busied himselfwith the marmalade. 

"That lot won't come cheap," said George, with a quick look at our parents. "Lockhart's books are really expensive. . . ." 

"Well, we'll manage," said Mum, but she looked worried. "Iexpect we'll be able to pick up a lot of Ginny's things second-hand." 

"Oh, are you starting at Hogwarts this year?" Harry asked Ginny.She nodded, blushing to the roots of her flaming hair, and put her elbowin the butter dish. Fortunately no one saw this except Harry, because justthen Percy walked in. He was already dressed, hisHogwarts prefect badge pinned to his sweater vest. 

"Morning, all," said Percy briskly. "Lovely day."He sat down in the only remaining chair but leapt up again almostimmediately, pulling from underneath him, what looked like a moulting, grey feather duster  

"Errol!" said Ron, taking the limp owl from Percy and extracting aletter from under its wing. "Finally — he's got Hermione's answer. I wroteto her saying we were going to try and rescue you from the Dursleys."He carried Errol to a perch just inside the back door and tried to standhim on it, but Errol flopped straight off again so Ron laid him on thedraining board instead, muttering, "Pathetic."