Chapter 4

I wasn't shocked. My knees didn't shake as I walked away from my brothers. No one clapped as I joined the Slytherin table and sat down in between a girl with long curly hair and a boy with crooked teeth. 

Dumbledore walked to the front of the teacher's platform and raised his arms in welcome. "Welcome all to Hogwarts. This year shall be a great year of learning, I can feel it. I won't keep you any longer for I assume you are all hungry. Let the Feast begin" and with his last words the empty dishes on the table filled with steaming hot food. I just stared at it while the people around me shoveled food on to their plates.

"Arn't you going to eat something?" The girl next to me said. I shook my head and looked away.

 "You should. It's good food" The boy on my other side said around mouthfuls. I shrugged and looked back at the girl. She put her fork down and extended her hand,

"Daphne Greengrass" I took her hand and shook it.

"Imogen Weasley" The boy nearly choked when I said my name

"Shouldn't you be in Gryffindor?" He asked, staring at me.

"No apparently not." I replied "You are?"

"Adrian Pucey" 

"You would be Derek's little brother right?" I asked, and giving into Daphne's pleas, scooped mashed potatoes and steak onto my place and dug in. 

"Yeah, He's in 7th year and plays Keeper on the Slytherin team" Adrian said. "Do you play?" 

"Yeah, I wanna go for Seeker next year, as first years never make the team." I said, stuffing my face with mash. It was so good.

"Like your Brother then? I wanna go for Chaser next year" He said and we all went quiet and ate the rest of our food. As the desserts replaced the main course the topic of conversation turned to the next days lessons Daphne favoured charms, Adrian was for Potions and I was for Transfiguration.

"My Dad used to brew stuff with me, before he died, It's how I remember him." Adrian said 

"Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't know" Daphne said and patted his arm. "I still think charms are better, they are just so useful"

"I=My mum always used to transfigure old things into new toys for us when we were little" I said as I finished my treacle tart "Plus I want to be an animagus when I'm older, I think that wold be useful. Oh and my wand wood is supposedly brilliant for transfiguration." As i finished Dumbledore stepped forward again and the food disappeared of the table.

"Just a few reminders before I send you of to bed. The Forbidden Forest is off limits to all students unless escorted by a teacher. Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you of the bann on all Zonko's joke shop items and the village of Hogsmeade is off limits to all under 3rd year. And with that prefects lead your new house member to their dormitories where their luggage has already been placed." The chairs scraped the floor as the students started to exit the floor, and a girl with short blonde hair called 

"Slytherin first year girls this way" Daphne and I followed her out of the hall, with 2 other girls  and went down into the dungeons. She came to a stretch of stone wall, she turned to face it and said to us "This terms password is 'Ave Caput Angius' it means Hail the head of the snake." she turned to the wall and spoke the password again. A door opened up to reveal the common room, a fire burned slowly in the corner and the floor was made of marble. Black leather chairs littered the room and several older students occupied the ones closest to the fire. The prefect led us over to a spiral staircase and said girls go up the boys go down, look for the door with your name on it. You will have one other person to share with, I suggest you learn to get along with them as most people stay with the same person the whole year." Once she told us where to go, she walked away to go and join her friends by the fire. Daphne, the two other girls and I climbed the staircase to the dorm rooms and went to go find our rooms. Thin, gold letters painted on the black wood spelled out my name under daphne's on room number 5.

"We're together" I said and pointed towards the names.

"Great. Those other two girls. Total bitches. I sat with them on the train and they spent the whole time telling me how much they hate my family." She said and walked through the door.

"Which bed is mine?" I asked and she pointed to the one that had my trunk at the foot. "Great, I'm so tired." I flopped on to the bed after changing into my PJ's. Daphne disappeared into the bathroom after saying goodnight. I pulled the green hangings on my bed shut and fell asleep almost instantly. It had been a long, drama filled day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the year passed quickly. Fred, George and I continued to pull pranks that rivaled even peeves. We flooded the entrance hall with a liquid that leaves anyone it touches speaking in mermish for the rest of the day, that got us a weeks worth of detention with Filch. He has a draw in his office labeled 'confiscated items' which of course we had to get a look in. We got ourselves in his office and set of dung bombs inside, pulled open the draw and pulled out a piece of parchment. Now we know this as the Marauders map after months of trying to open it. Messers Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs did some awesome work to aiding trouble makers that pass through the halls of hogwarts. 

I discovered that the Slytherin quidditch team is shit. Terence Higgs is the most awful seeker I have ever seen. He couldn't even catch the snitch when it was right in front of his nose. Adrian and I could go on forever about the improvements that team needs.

I still haven't told Mum and Dad about being in Slytherin, I stayed at Hogwarts for Hogwarts and Easter along with Fred and George. We're not welcome at Aunt Muriel's house. Daphne thinks I should tell them before I go home before the summer and keeps bringing it up at unexpected times, like this mornings breakfast.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I still think you should tell them" She started as I ate my bacon.

"Well I want to do it face-to-face, you know? It'll be better that way" I replied. It wasn't true and she knew it.

"If you meant that you would have gone home at easter" 

"Well I'll do it when I see them, you can even be there when i do it. That's a promise" I said and pushed my plate away. Today we had our final exam; Potions, and I wanted to revise some more before the lesson.

"I'll hold you to that" She said and grabbed her bag as we made our way into the dungeons. A small group, including fred and George, were waiting outside Snape's room, reading from our potions book, trying to remember every potion recipe. Daphne pulled out her book and proceeded to quiz me on every potion we had studied until Snape came out and told us to go inside.

After the exam Daphne, Adrian and I walked down to the lake and sat by the bank. 

"Oh shut up Addy, just because you can't get it wrong doesn't mean we can't" Daphne said

"Yeah, I'm like 110% sure I brewed the wrong potion!" I said and sat down on the bank.

"Well Daph, you do better than me in everything else ans Immy, your potion was pink." Adrian said as he sat down in between me and Daph.

"And?" I looked at him sceptically 

"It was supposed to be aqua" He said. "How long until we get our results?" 

"About a week"  Daph said and lay down on her back in the sun.

Adrian groaned "Well I can tell you, I probably failed everything except potions" 

"Well on the plus side" I said "We go home for Summer soon and Mum said you guts could come and stay for a while if you like."

"But you haven't told her we're Slytherins." They shouted at me

"Your family don't exactly like Slytherins" Daph pointed out

"Well they like me" I said

"But not us" Adrian said

"Only because they don't know you" I said quietly "And I'm going to introduce you guys at the end of term"

Daphne rolled her eyes as Adrian looked at me and "Our funeral then."