9

The next day, it took Uenoyama forever to wake Mafuyu up for school. No matter what he did, Sato wouldnt budge. He shook him multiple times, and was only met with silence. It worried him quite a bit, because if Mafuyu had a concussion, it wasnt good to let him sleep so deeply.

"Mafuyu..?" He asked again, having no choice but to shake him harder. "You've got to wake up... we have school in a half hour..."

Mafuyu slowly started opening his eyes, looking at Uenoyama blankly before closing them again. He didn't think he had the strength to get out of bed. "I can't..." he mumbled quietly, wrapping the blankets around himself again. "...Can't get up..."

All of his wounds had set in, and his body felt so heavy and sore. Everyone always said injuries hurt worst the day after, and that was proving to be true. He felt like his limbs were made of lead, and they felt much too heavy for him to lift. Plus, his blood loss was making him extremely drowsy, and he felt a bit anemic.

"You have to.." Uenoyama told him with a frown. "We'll get in trouble if we don't." He pulled the blankets off of Mafuyu and sighed. "I'm sorry... we don't have a choice..."

Mafuyu looked at him with tired eyes and slowly sat up, getting dizzy and seeing tons of little dots invade his vision. When he stood up, he almost fell straight back down, but steadied himself just in time.

He still needed to be able to fool people. Uenoyama wasn't supposed to know how badly he actually got hurt. It had to be plausible that he fell into a tree.

Uenoyama saw his unsteadiness, rushing to his side to help hold him up. "Hey... Are you okay??" He asked, letting Mafuyu lean on him to make sure he didn't fall. "You seem really out of it... and Your face bruised a bunch." How could this all have come from a tree? This seemed like something more than that.

"I'm okay." Mafuyu instantly replied, starting to walk forward. His balance was off, and all he could think of was how thirsty he was. That was definitely signs of blood loss, and he knew it. He was low on the most important thing in his body. But still, he limped to the bathroom on his bruised legs and pretended like nothing was wrong.

He used the bathroom, got dressed, ate some toast, drank a whole glass of water, and headed out the door with Uenoyama, wincing in pain with every step he took despite his efforts to hide it.

Eventually, they made it to school, and went to their separate classes. Unfortunately, Mafuyu sat in the front row.

His teacher could tell something was wrong. She noticed Sato spacing out way more than normal, and she obviously noticed all the bruises and scrapes he had. At the end of the first class period, she called him up to her desk, intending to get to the bottom of this.

"Sato-kun.." she said quietly, waiting until all the other students headed to get their things for the next class. "Is there something going on?" She asked softly, her tone of voice caring and inviting.

"No ma'am.." Mafuyu told her, shaking his head. "I'm alright. I tripped and fell into a tree.. it was a really bad fall, that's all..."

"Are you sure?" She asked him. "Its okay to tell me the truth, sweetie. This is a really safe place, and no one could harm you here.." all she needed was for him to verbally admit he was being mistreated, and she'd have enough evidence to call someone for help. "Is there anything going on at home?"

Mafuyu looked down at the floor and shook his head. His teacher was always so nice to him when no one else was, and he appreciated that a lot. He trusted her, and wanted to tell her so bad, but knew he couldn't take the risk of losing Uenoyama because of this. "There's nothing bad at home. I'm safe there." That wasnt exactly a lie, but it wasnt the whole truth. His actual home was safe, but his father's house certainly wasn't. "I'm okay.." he muttered, getting a bit dizzy and leaning on her desk for support.

His teacher certainly wasn't buying that. Not for a moment. So she put her hand on Mafuyu's shoulder, and sighed. "You can tell me anything, Sato-kun... Alright? It's okay to tell me if something happened." At this point, she knew she had to lie to get the answers she needed. She hated lying, but Sato's safety was top priority right now. "I wont tell anyone." She said, looking him in the eyes. She was going to have to tell someone, though, and she felt awful for lying.

"You... won't?" Mafuyu really wanted to tell her. He wanted to get it off his chest. But he was still scared. "There isn't anything wrong. Theres nothing for you to keep secret." He snitched to Yuki all those years ago and paid the price. He wasn't doing that again.

But...

His emotions were taking over. His brain told him not to tell but his heart needed the weight lifted from it. He paused and just stared at the floor, trying to make a decision.

"Well... there is something..."

-----

A/N: another chapter!! I'm on a roll today I'm so motivated to writeeee