Chapter Seven

Wes ~

With my gym bag over my shoulder, I took long strides toward my truck, scratching the back of my head in disbelief of my own actions. I had broken my own cardinal rule and I had no clue why.

Why had I let Gracie sleep in my bed? There were other options in the house - plenty of chairs and couches, but I couldn't help myself. Did I offer out of gratitude for cleaning? Was it a moment of temporary insanity?

My mind buzzed with questions that I didn't have the answers to and I fucking hated that. I hated feeling like I wasn't in control of my own thoughts and feelings and the confusion that clouded my brain put a deep scowl on my face.

Tossing my bag in the back, I settled my body in the driver's seat and reached for the keys that were not in my pocket.

Fuck.

I huffed an irritated breath and flung the truck door open as I made my way back inside to grab my keys.

I'm all over the damn place today.

The house was silent as I entered despite it being full of people at the moment, and the only sound that hit my ears was occasional snoring.

Once I reached my room I did everything in my power not to make a sound, twisting the knob slowly and bracing my hand against the door to stop it from creaking as I gently pushed it open.

My eyes searched for Gracie who was under my covers, tucked against my pillow.

Using every ounce of muscle control I had, I took the slowest steps possible, trying to stay completely silent as I moved across the room toward my keys that were sitting on my dresser.

As I got closer I realized that she wasn't falling asleep, she was already completely out and unfazed by me moving around the room. Her chest rose and fell with deep even breaths and her arms wrapped around my pillow like it was a person.

It took a second for my mind to register what my eyes were seeing and...enjoying?

There was a female in my bed, wrapped in my sheets, clinging to my pillow with her long light brown hair draped over the side, exposing her neck and shoulders. She looked like a damn angel and I felt warmth gather in my chest the longer I stared at her.

Letting out a soft hum, Gracie shifted her body beneath my sheets, causing me to freeze in place, trying to become invisible. She weaved her arm out of the covers and pulled the blankets to the side, exposing one of her smooth tanned legs, but her eyes remained closed and her face remained peaceful.

Realizing she must have gotten hot beneath my comforter, I moved toward the wall and flipped the fan on, but I was unable to pull my eyes away from her.

God she's beautiful.

The longer I stood there the more I felt like an absolute creep, but walking away from her while she slept in my bed felt wrong and was difficult for some reason. I knew I was going to be late, but my body protested against the logical side of my brain, fighting to stay in place as I admired her.

In an effort to physically break my gaze and force myself to leave, I shook my head and grabbed my keys, taking hold of the door knob, before I stole one last glance and the gorgeous woman laying in my bed.

She had shifted herself so that one arm and one leg was exposed and the light from the slowly rising sun peeked through the blinds, bouncing off of the tiny diamond on her left hand which sobered my mind almost immediately. The small reminder placed the scowl back on my face as I opened the door and walked out of the room.